none
A functional Summary Progress to my Master Project. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My problem is that I can see the progress summary-bar in the subprojects correctly,
    I can also see the Project summary of the subprojects, in the Master Project, correctly.

But when I have several subprojects under a Master Project, the Project Summary-bar on the Master Project just swings to the end, which gives me no progect summary of the whole case. (Only a extra line from start to end)

I am in the building industry.

When planning a Project, I want to keep the different phases apart in different Projects, and then have a Master project where I can see all of the phases under one project which gives me an overview of the Case

For an example:

Master Project: Building/ Case (Hotel)

Subproject: Phase 1(Groundwork)

Subproject: Phase 2(Concrete)

and so on...

But as said when I put several subprojects under a Master Project, the Project Summary-bar on the Master Project just swings to the end, which gives me no progect summary of the whole case.

I hope I was clear enough, and I hope someone can help me with this problem.

best regards, Marin

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:28 AM

All replies

• Niromimus,

Sorry but I don't quite understand the issue.

When you talk about the Project Summary bar at master level, are you talking about the Project Summary Task at master level (i.e. ID 0)?

By default there is no bar format representing progress for the Project Summary Task. In your master, what does the % Complete field of the Project Summary Task show? My guess is it is something less than 100%. If so, it may simply be a matter of not having a Gantt bar to represent that progress. Try adding a new bar style at the end of the list of bar styles, something like this.

Now do you see a summary progress?

John

Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:08 AM
  • I don't understand your question or what your "problem" is, but I am thinking that you are misunderstanding what "master" and "subprojects" are. If you have a construction project, it is just one project (just ie one MSP file), and the phases 1 and 2 are just summary level tasks (or just "summaries)
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:20 AM
  • Hi Marin,

You have probably created your Master Project with it's (linked) sub-projects in the Gantt Chart view. Please go to the view called "Tracking Gantt". This will show you what you want to see.

And don't forget to save the initial planning as "Baseline". Or you will not have anything to compare with :)

Regards,

Theo

Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:55 AM
  • Hi Theo

Allright, Yes it is the summary progress of ID 0, I want to see.

In one of my projects it shows 42% complete, in the master, but a lot more or 100% in the Ghantt bar. Yes, I am able to see the CompleteThrough somewhat correctly, if I want, like you suggest.

However it is the Summary progress I want to see, Completethrough and summary progress do not look exactly alike.

Br

Nironimus

• Edited by Nironimus Wednesday, December 5, 2018 11:34 AM
    Monday, December 3, 2018 11:41 AM
  • Thank you

Yes, I did. 

I am familiar with the tracking Ghantt, and I can not see Progress Summary correctly though.

The tracking Ghantt shows progress on all the Subprojects and their tasks, as well as the % Complete.

But it does not show the Progress summary correctly on the master project, The graphic just switches to a 100%, eventhough the % complete shows 27%.

Regards, Marin

Monday, December 3, 2018 11:55 AM
  • Allright, thank you for your time.

But as I stated in the question, in this case I want to split up the different phases into subprojects.

Monday, December 3, 2018 11:57 AM
  • Hi Marin. I'm baffled. I wonder which version of Microsoft Project you have and if you have the latest updates. Although I haven't seen this quirk before it looks like an error/bug to me. I suppose you already tried building a new master project with your sub-projects again from scratch? The only cause of this problem I can think of is that % complete (of the DURATION) sometimes shows odd behavior if start an finish dates remain the same but individual calendars and splits cause less availability of working space within tasks. Hope this helps ...
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:40 AM
  • Nironimus,

Three of us have responded to your question and it appears you have responded back but without identifying who you are replying to. It just makes it more difficult to sort it all out.

To give us a better feel for your issue, a screen shot would help.

John

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:32 PM
  • Nironimus,

Three of us have responded to your question and it appears you have responded back but without identifying who you are replying to. It just makes it more difficult to sort it all out.

To give us a better feel for your issue, a screen shot would help.

John

Hi John

Yes I can see that, now, I am new to theis forum so I thought I could answer each individually by pressing reply, but now I will identify.

And I would also prefer posting screenshots, bur Microsoft is unable to verify my account, for some reason.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 11:33 AM
  • Hi Theo

My version is Microsoft Project Professional for Office 365.

The behavior also seems like a bug to me, but it could be something to do with the calendars (these are the same in all projects), or the start and ends of the projects, but i am also thinking about if it could be something to do with how the progress summary is calculated.

thank you for your inputs

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 11:53 AM