none
PS 2010: Timesheet issues RRS feed

• Question

• PS 2010: Timesheet issues

In the "Task Settings and Display" page I selected the option:  "Only allow task updates via Tasks and timesheets". I expected to be able to have write access to the Remaining Work column in the My Work view. But I have not any access to this column.

I clicked Send Timesheet. Sometime after it was approved without any error message, but I didn't get any Actual Work in any view.

No Actual work in the Task Usage view

No Actual work in the Timesheet itself.

What is wrong?

Monday, February 21, 2011 5:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if you don't know if you have SEM enabled, you haven't done yet ;-). You can find this in the last line of Project Web App - Timesheet Settings and Defaults. If SEM is not enabled, timesheets work in the same way they did in 2007. So entering data there will not affect task updates. So I am fine with "No Actual work in the Task Usage view".

I have never seen what I understand what happens to your timesheet: You have entered actuals in your timesheet, you are your own timesheet manager, you sent timesheet and timesheet was auto-approved. After that, hours you have previously entered are gone?

Have you found anything in queue? Can you please have a look at Approval Center - History - Timesheet History. Can you find your hours there (there are some hyperlinks within the table, providing additional information.

Regards
    Barbara

P.s.: If you are interested in SEM (I missed it in 2007), you can find more information at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/overview-enter-time-and-task-progress-in-one-view-HA101884467.aspx.

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Monday, February 21, 2011 6:20 PM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 5:49 PM
  • No, it will not, you have at least to recall your timesheet and re-submit, it needs an event fired to be processed. To be honest, I am not sure, if submitting is sufficient. Perhaps you will even need to delete this timesheet first (Quick Launch - Manage Timesheets)

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:47 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

first of all a few questions:

Do you have Single Entry Mode (SEM) enabled? If not, your actual work can only be displayed in timesheets, but not in Task Usage view, since it was not submitted, approved and published. If you have SEM enabled: Has your PM created any rules for approving tasks? ARe approved them manually? Even with SEM enabled, the approval is the same as in 2007: Timesheets for Timesheet Managers, Task Updates for Project (Status) Managers.

When you write that you can't see Actual Work in the Timesheet? Do you look at the same view where you entered the actuals?

Regarding Remaining WorK. check in Mange Views, if Remaining Work [Assiggnment] does not have "Make column read only" selected.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, February 21, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Where can I check I have Single Entry Mode (SEM) enabled?

My timesheet has the status "Approved" (automatic)

<<you can't see Actual Work in the Timesheet?>> for exemple in the table part of the Timesheet ( left of the timephased part)

Thanks

Monday, February 21, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

if you don't know if you have SEM enabled, you haven't done yet ;-). You can find this in the last line of Project Web App - Timesheet Settings and Defaults. If SEM is not enabled, timesheets work in the same way they did in 2007. So entering data there will not affect task updates. So I am fine with "No Actual work in the Task Usage view".

I have never seen what I understand what happens to your timesheet: You have entered actuals in your timesheet, you are your own timesheet manager, you sent timesheet and timesheet was auto-approved. After that, hours you have previously entered are gone?

Have you found anything in queue? Can you please have a look at Approval Center - History - Timesheet History. Can you find your hours there (there are some hyperlinks within the table, providing additional information.

Regards
    Barbara

P.s.: If you are interested in SEM (I missed it in 2007), you can find more information at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/overview-enter-time-and-task-progress-in-one-view-HA101884467.aspx.

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Monday, February 21, 2011 6:20 PM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Barbara,

As you guessed, I was not in Single Entry Mode... :)

I'll study that

Thanks

PS : I don't have any issue in the Queue.

Monday, February 21, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Great that you see your question as answered. However, you are still missing your Actual Hours in Timesheet after approval, aren't you? Can you see them in Approval Center - History - Timesheets - My Timesheet?

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, February 21, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Barbara,

In the timescaled part (right side) of the timesheet, I still have the Actual Work I entered.

In the table part( left side) the Actual Work is 0. I don't have any Actual Work at all on the tasks.

;-(

Monday, February 21, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

my mistake - left and right is sometimes a bit difficult ;-)

So you can see Actual Hours in timescale grid, that's fine. You can't see it on the right, when applying Work view. That is normal, as long as no actual work is reported for tasks (manual or by SEM). If you look at definition of this view, you will see that Actual Work in this table is "Actual Work [Assignment]". So there will not be any value until you update status in Tasks, submit, approve and publish them.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, February 21, 2011 8:44 PM
  • I set the Single Entry  Mode.

For project whose previous actuals have been entered via another entry mode, do they accept the new SEM ?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:22 AM
  • No, it will not, you have at least to recall your timesheet and re-submit, it needs an event fired to be processed. To be honest, I am not sure, if submitting is sufficient. Perhaps you will even need to delete this timesheet first (Quick Launch - Manage Timesheets)

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:47 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:34 AM