Why Does The Startup Folder Get Reset To The Inbox? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.492)
    Outlook 2010

I set the Outlook Options-> Advanced to open Outlook in the Outbox folder.  Every now and then when I restart Outlook opens in the inbox folder.  Why is my setting getting changed?

http://www.saberman.com

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 4:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How many users are affected by this issue in your organization?

Did you restart Outlook right after changing the setting? Did you get any error when Outlook was closing?

Do you have any registry cleaner running that may prevented the setting?

Besides, we may first try to repair your Office installation and then test it again to see whether this issue still persists.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Steve Fan Tuesday, June 19, 2018 8:12 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, June 25, 2018 9:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by saberman Monday, June 25, 2018 9:00 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 8:11 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Feel free to post back with any findings.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 25, 2018 9:42 AM
  • >How many users are affected by this issue in your organization?

I run a one man consulting company.

>Did you restart Outlook right after changing the setting?

Yes and it opened in the Outbox.

>Did you get any error when Outlook was closing?

No

>Do you have any registry cleaner running that may prevented the setting?

No

Monday, June 25, 2018 9:00 PM
  • Thank you for the update.

Which type of email account do you use? Exchange, IMAP or POP3? 

How many data files do you have in your Outlook? Which one is the default? 

Besides, we may try create a new mail profile and set up your email account in the new profile for testing. You don't need to delete your original profile, just create a new one for testing.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:31 AM
  • >Which type of email account do you use? Exchange, IMAP or POP3? 

POP3

>How many data files do you have in your Outlook? >

A lot of which two are usually open.

>Which one is the default? 

Outlook.pst which is always first.

>You don't need to delete your original profile, just create a new one for testing.

I don't think it is worth the effort.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:42 PM
  • Thank you for the update.

May I know the reason why you think testing in new Outlook profile doesn't worth the effort? If the issue doesn't persist in new profile, it suggests that the issue is with your current profile. Let's say profile corruption is the cause, anything we do within your current Outlook profile will be in vain. Since we haven't met such an issue before, the steps we'd like you to try and the questions we'd like to clarify are used to narrow down the cause of the issue. 

Thank you for your understanding and patience :-)

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 9:04 AM
  • >May I know the reason why you think testing in new Outlook profile doesn't worth the effort?

Because it doesn't occur most of the time so if it didn't occur in a new profile it would not prove anything.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:52 PM
  • Thank you for clarifying. I thought if it happened frequently, we may keep using the new profile for some time to see whether it will happen again. If it happens randomly and we haven't see a pattern, it could be hard to find the root cause. 

As a workaround, you may edit the property of the Outlook shortcut you used to start Outlook in Outbox folder. It works in my environment. The command line will look something like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Outlook.exe" /select Outlook:Outbox

See the following article for more details:

https://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/tip-16-outlooks-startup-folder/

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

• Edited by Steve Fan Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:55 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, June 29, 2018 10:06 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:54 AM
  • Hello,

Any update here? Have you got an opportunity to try the workaround?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Friday, June 29, 2018 10:06 AM