Office 2010 to Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I currently have Office 2010 on my computer and installed Office 2016. When I try to use any application (especially Word) in 2016, my computer gives me the error message and shuts the program down. I did not uninstall 2010 first (or yet)simply because I was afraid of being left with nothing. Was I suppose to uninstall first?  

Am I not able to open any of my 2010 documents in 2016?

Is the a compatibility problem between 2010 and 2016?

I'm in college, so I need to be able to open the previous documents...

Please Help???

Friday, August 12, 2016 11:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Stella,

Generally, it is recommended to only run one version Office suites on a computer. If you want to install and run more than one version of Office on the same PC, please make sure all versions of Office are either 32-bit or 64-bit. You can’t have a mix of both. Also check the following articles:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Install-and-use-different-versions-of-Office-on-the-same-PC-6ebb44ce-18a3-43f9-a187-b78c513788bf?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Please keep in mind that even if you follow these recommendations, you might still run into issues when you use two versions of Office on the same PC.

In your scenario, if you want to open documents which are created from Office 2010 in your Office 2016, please try the following method:

Keep all Office 2010 applications closed, open a blank page in your Word 2016 app, then click File > Open to open the document.

I still suggest you only using one version Office application (Office 2016) on your computer :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 2:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Stella,

Generally, it is recommended to only run one version Office suites on a computer. If you want to install and run more than one version of Office on the same PC, please make sure all versions of Office are either 32-bit or 64-bit. You can’t have a mix of both. Also check the following articles:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Install-and-use-different-versions-of-Office-on-the-same-PC-6ebb44ce-18a3-43f9-a187-b78c513788bf?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Please keep in mind that even if you follow these recommendations, you might still run into issues when you use two versions of Office on the same PC.

In your scenario, if you want to open documents which are created from Office 2010 in your Office 2016, please try the following method:

Keep all Office 2010 applications closed, open a blank page in your Word 2016 app, then click File > Open to open the document.

I still suggest you only using one version Office application (Office 2016) on your computer :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 15, 2016 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

Any further updates? Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:30 AM