SVCHost NetSVCS On Windows Server 2008 Standard memory leak with windows update RRS feed

• Question

• I have a particular situation that has surfaced lately.  I have a series of Windows Server 2008 Standard.  I have applications that use WMI to do application interfacing.  For years this has been running fine until recenly in the last month I have seen memory being swallowed by the process SVCHost Netsvcs.  I have done significant research into this.  The problem appears almost like clock work on a daily basis.  I have traced this to windows update which seems to kick off, it is also using WMI, it starts and seems to get lost then netsvcs starts running off until all memory is consumed and the svchost process eventually fails.  At that point I can get back into the system to view it. If I catch it in time I can simply stop windows update but sometimes I have to take the drastic and unsafe measure to kill that particular svchost process. 

There are a lot of threads regarding SVCHost and nothing comes remotely close to this issue as far as I can see.

I have allready ensured that windows update is up to date. 

At present I am forced to ensure that windows update is disabled. I then have to manually shut down the other services that are using WMI to do an update.  This means down time for my applications realtime updates.

Monday, March 30, 2015 10:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

does this issue occur on a single server or multiple servers? And is it server 2008 or 2008 R2?  (if 2008R2 there is a hotfix available which would seem a good fit for your current issue).

If you find the answer of assistance please "Vote as Helpful"and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps others to find solutions for there issues, and recognises contributions made to the community :)

Monday, March 30, 2015 1:26 PM

All replies