Please help with formatting C drive RRS feed

• Question

• Tried formatting C Drive two ways in order to clear out corrupt OS:

• Using OS disk but receive blue screen errors
    • Format c: at cmd prompt in safe mode but receive handles error message

Never thought that formatting hard drive would be this difficult.

Help!

BB

Monday, December 12, 2011 4:52 PM

All replies

• You must boot from the install CD.  When you get to almost the end of the setup on the disk, you delete the current partition and then let Windows go from there.  It will make a partition and format the new partition.  You cannot format C: while it is active after booting up Windows.

You can also use a third party utility that allows you to make a boot-up disk and then format the drive.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by BitsandBytes01 Monday, December 12, 2011 6:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BitsandBytes01 Monday, December 12, 2011 6:36 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:10 PM
  • For the correct procedure, please review: Clean Install Windows XP
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:11 PM
  • I appreciate the replies, but in my original post I state that using an install disk always results in blue screen errors. I do not make it the set up screen. Wish I could.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Are you actually booting up on the CD?  If all you get is a blue screen when booting up the install CD, then your CD may be unreadable due to scratches or it may need to be washed with mild dish soap and carefully wiped dry.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:46 PM
  • I've tried twi different boot up cds so I'm leaning towards RAM or hard drive failure
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Booting from a CD should not access the hard drive.  RAM on theother hand is essential regardless of the boot device.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 5:22 AM