APP-V with MSDN Office 2010 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting a bit frustrated.  I have been trying to use APP-V 4.6 with the MSDN version of Office 2010 Pro Plus.  But I keep getting Product Activation errors.

I finally gave in a asked for a non MSDN license key for the Office 2010 Deployment Kit and the kit finally accepted the key.  But the key doesn't work with the MSDN Office 2010 Pro Plus.

I used the MSDN key to install and sequence the MSDN OFFICE 2010 Pro but it will not install on any workstation if the Deployment Kit has been authorized.

Is there a way to use the MSDN version of Office 2010 Pro Plus with APP-V 4.6 and have it install on a Windows XP or Windows 7 workstation?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:19 PM

Answers

• MSDN and TechNet get retail keys only for Office which won't work when virtualising in App-V. It would be nice if Microsoft supplied MAK keys so that we can test correctly.

When creating your customisation file for Office, select the KMS key option. This mmay not get Office working once executed, but it should give you enough to sequence and test Office on a client machine.

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, May 14, 2010 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 10:09 PM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There are several ways in providing a product key with the deployment kit - and you haven't explained exactly which route you have taken.

Aaron Parker did a good write-up regarding licensing and MSDN / Technet in general;
    http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/general/managing-product-activation-with-a-technet-subscription-and-msdn-too

/Znack
    Friday, May 14, 2010 5:09 AM
  • MSDN and TechNet get retail keys only for Office which won't work when virtualising in App-V. It would be nice if Microsoft supplied MAK keys so that we can test correctly.

When creating your customisation file for Office, select the KMS key option. This mmay not get Office working once executed, but it should give you enough to sequence and test Office on a client machine.

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, May 14, 2010 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 10:09 PM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:03 PM
  • What is really frustrating is that when Office 2010 was in beta the MSDN keys worked with the Office 2010 Beta Deployment Kit.  So when RTM was released a couple of weeks ago and the RTM deployment kit was released last week, I thought I was "golden".  Turns out it was "fools gold".

The problem is the activation (MAK) keys the MSDN version is looking for and the Volume License (MAK) version is looking for are different.  I know MSDN keys are suppose to be "retail" versions but they are retail version for single machine installations only and don't work with the RTM APP-V Deployment Kit. 

So, I can sequence the MSDN RTM Office 2010 Pro Plus, setup all the Management Servers and configure the Console web sites with the OSD files.  But when it is time for the client to get the application, everything launches and starts until that nasty activation key screen pops up.  The MSDN key does get verified BUT the key is not compatible to the Deployment Kit so it errors out.  Even if I use the VLK key on the Deployment Kit prior to launch, the popup screen appears and will not accept either the MSDN or VLK MAK keys.

I have installed the VLK MAK keys using the msiexec /i offvirt.msi pidkeys=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx useroperations=1 with success.  MSDN (MAK-retail) keys without success.

Also in the "recipe" for APP-V Office deployment, they make mention of using the Volume License Activation tool 2.0.  I can tell you without question, it doesn't work with the deployment kit.  The "tool" doesn't see the deployment kit until it is installed and has been activated by the VLK MAK license.  By that time, I don't need the VLAT because it is already activated.  If the kit is not activated, the tool doesn't see the kit so it cannot "push" the license to the workstation.

The version Microsoft APP-V POC Jumpstart is shipping of Office 2010 is a trail version with no keys.  I guess the people who put the POC Jumpstart together either didn't want to bother with activation keys or could not get a version to work with them.

So my advice to anyone who wants to learn how to create a sequenced Office 2010 with APP-V, don't use the MSDN version.  The irony is that MSDN was designed for Microsoft Professionals to learn new technologies.  I guess someone forgot to tell the APP-V Office Deployment team.

Friday, May 14, 2010 2:38 PM
  • I have spent 3 months trying to find out how to use a MSDN version of Office 2010 Pro Plus (volume edition) with MAK activation for my lab environment.  I understand activation.  I already use VAMT 2.0 for MAK proxy activation of Windows editions.  I searched online for hours and everything Microsoft have written indicates that MAK is the most suitable activation model for my lab environment, but nowhere - absolutely nowhere - do they mention that you cannot use MAK if your product was obtained through MSDN.  They point you to VLSC to obtain the key, but do you think I can log in to that?  No way.  Because if you have MSDN, that does not mean you are a volume license customer.  Shafted again.  Why don't they just tell us about this?  Why, why, why?

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:35 PM
  • As an MSDN subscriber, you're entitled to the Online Concierge support, they will be able to answer the question for you.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:08 PM