AppV 5.0 in RDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

Today we are running AppV 4.6 on our RDS farm. We have approx 200 AppV packages.

We have created links to all the osd files (sfttray.exe). It works fine. ;)

Now we would like to move on to AppV 5.0.

I'm able to deploy AppV 5.0 packages using SCCM 2012 SP1 - and use the "Share Content Store" option. It works fine.. :), but its a bit overkill to deploy approx 200 AppV packages to all the RDS servers (event its only 4 KB redirectors)

Is there a better way - than deploy all the AppV to all the servers? (shortcuts? as in 4.6)

Mike

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Not using SCCM nor the Publishing server, but only PoSh scripts on the client would give you a more granular control. Add-AppvClientPackage and Publish-AppvclientPackage just 'unveil' the package information to the user's workspace w/o loading it into the cache (wheres 'loading into cache' in the Shared Content Store mode means to create the small sparse files).

But no, there is not such an 'easy' method of just 'clicking' on an OSD file to publish + load + launch and App-V 5 application.

Anyway I'd recommend to let SCCM create those '4 KB redirectors' for your 200 Apps on a machine-base (at machine startup or at night, not at user logon) just to accelerat application launch. I'd even recommend to 'really' load the most-frequently used (but rarely updated) packages into the 'real' cache (not linking them to the Shared Content Store).

Falko

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I am not really sure what you are aiming for, what would you like to see?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:51 PM
  • I would be nice - not to be "force" to deploy all the packages to our RDS servers - just to have shortcuts like in 4.6...
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Hello,

Well, to get the shortcuts in App-V 4.6 you would need to have the applications deployed? WHats the concern?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Our desktop management program created shortcuts directly to the OSD files... So only when people clicked on a shortcut - the AppV 4.6 packages was streamed to the server - and started.

We have approx 200 AppV packages - and deploying the packages takes about 15-30 sec. pr. packages. in AppV 5.0 using SCCM2012 SP1.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

Not using SCCM nor the Publishing server, but only PoSh scripts on the client would give you a more granular control. Add-AppvClientPackage and Publish-AppvclientPackage just 'unveil' the package information to the user's workspace w/o loading it into the cache (wheres 'loading into cache' in the Shared Content Store mode means to create the small sparse files).

But no, there is not such an 'easy' method of just 'clicking' on an OSD file to publish + load + launch and App-V 5 application.

Anyway I'd recommend to let SCCM create those '4 KB redirectors' for your 200 Apps on a machine-base (at machine startup or at night, not at user logon) just to accelerat application launch. I'd even recommend to 'really' load the most-frequently used (but rarely updated) packages into the 'real' cache (not linking them to the Shared Content Store).

Falko

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:37 AM