none
Looking for a new product! RRS feed

• Question

• I
    am responsible to improve our current PM tool system for the company.
    Currently, we are using MS-Project Standard 2010 for our scheduling purposes
    and a customize PM tool on Excel for budgeting and reporting. Our data comes
    from SharePoint, Invoices datasheet (Excel) and BillQuick (timesheet) program.
    We have to enter every data manually into the PM Tool (Excel) and MS Project almost
    every week (time consuming). I am looking for a new way to integrate MS products
    together and create a automate link between MS-Project, Excel and SharePoint to
    import and export data and reports. Initially, I thought MS Project Server
    could be a good approach to take, however I just found out that there are too
    many other Microsoft products that could help us in a better way especially
    with new 2013 version. I am just so confuse, could you please help me with your
    suggestion. I am not an IT person and don't have any knowledge about
    programming or VB, I am just working as part of PMG (Project Management Group)
    and looking for some improvements to our system that could help us to enter and
    maintain data automatically, and then we would be able to create reports in a
    short period of time. Our Excel PM Tool and MS project schedule file is really
    huge due to high numbers of data and tasks that we need to track. Thanks. <o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:54 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I recommend you engauge with a Project Server partner who will be able to discuss options with you. A partner can be found here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project/microsoft-project-partners-project-support-FX103802119.aspx

In short, automating the steps you currently perform will be possible via custom code using the PSI for server side automation or possibly VBA if the automation is client side. Without seeing how you currently work / knowing the exact details it is impossible give accurate advise over a forum.

Many thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Thanks Paul for your respond. The smallest schedule only for one project is more than 15000 rows (tasks) with almost 100 different kinds of data such as date, duration, work, cost, budget etc. to enter and maintain. It is very time consuming to enter the data manually and create the reports out it. The current PM Tool (Excel) that we made in house is really huge due to very complex formula and high number of data. That’s why I thought the project server could assist us in collecting and updating the data and reporting as well. I am not sure about the data limits on project server. I am afraid that working by VB would be very difficult as well.  

Regards,

Allan

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:30 PM