none
WinPE x64 boot image not being built from winpe.wim in ADK directories(expected behavior ?) RRS feed

• Question

• I recently noticed that when I rebuild my boot images the 64-bit boot image is not using winpe.wim from the ADK 1709 directory tree. Instead it seems to use the boot.wim file from my Windows Server 2016 v1709 OS image that was imported into MDT. The 32-bit boot image seems to use the standard winpe.wim. Trying to figure out if this is normal behavior? 

I found an old thread here that seems to indicate this might be normal but I wanted to confirm since this thread is so old: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ffca3696-29ed-4ea6-b994-dcaf844ae8d6/how-to-specify-a-bootwim-to-be-used-as-the-template-pe-image-by-mdt-when-creating-lite-touch-pe?forum=mdt

Thanks,

Mike

Friday, December 1, 2017 5:26 PM

Answers

• This is by design. To change the default behavior, open ControlSettings.xml search for UseBootWim entries (there are two, one for x86, one for x64) and change the value to False. For example:

<Boot.x86.UseBootWim>False</Boot.x86.UseBootWim>

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:08 AM

All replies

• This is by design. To change the default behavior, open ControlSettings.xml search for UseBootWim entries (there are two, one for x86, one for x64) and change the value to False. For example:

<Boot.x86.UseBootWim>False</Boot.x86.UseBootWim>

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:08 AM
  • Thanks for the answer.

Just as a follow up question; why would I choose to set it to use the ADK .wim versus some other .wim that it automatically chooses?

Monday, December 4, 2017 1:51 PM
  • Just as a follow up question; why would I choose to set it to use the ADK .wim versus some other .wim that it automatically chooses?

Speaking from personal experience, there may be cases in which you may be unable to generate boot.wim when you have multiple OS's in your deployment share (in my case I had a situation which prevented me from generating boot images when I had various W10 builds in my deployment share). Switching to generic WIM remediates the issue.

Cheers,
    Anton

Monday, December 4, 2017 1:57 PM