.NET Framework 2.0 question - continued... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a few more questions related to my .NET Framework 2.0 question thread posted last week.  I know that some of these questions will go beyond the realm of SQL-NS and into the SQL Server 2005 world, but my belief is that you guys will already know the answers.

Lets say I have an IIS web server on Windows 2003 Server with the following software already installed:

1.  SQL Server 2000 client software
    2.  .NET Framework 1.1
    3.  MDAC 2.X

Now I create a SQL-NS application hosted on a new separate Windows 2003 Server running SQL Server 2005.  Let's say I decide to install .NET Framework 2.0 on my web server so that I can run a VS 2005 ASP.NET subscription management app on the web server.  Would I also need to install SQL Server 2005 client software on the web server?  My belief is that .NET Framework 2.0 apps will only need ADO.NET 2.0 that is included in the Framework install (but I am not 100% certain).

Also, what if my subscription management ASP.NET application also maintains it's own custom SQL 2005 database outside of the SQL-NS subscription management API?  Again, is Framework 2.0 all I require (i.e. ADO.NET 2.0) or might I also require the SQL 2005 client software?

Is there any other required client software I may be missing for my scenario described above?

Again, sorry for crossing the realm into SQL Server 2005.

Peter
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:09 PM

Answers

• Peter,
    Your ASP.NET 2.0 subscription management application will need to call the NS subscriber/subscription APIs, which are packaged as part of the NS client components. YOu can install these independently of the other SQL Server client components, from the "Advanced" screen in SQL 2005 setup.

You may also need the SQL Native Client to be installed. However, I'm not an expert on that, so I can't say for sure. You may have better luck in one of the other SQL forums.
    -shyam
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:41 PM

All replies

• When you say SQL Server 2005 client software do you mean the NS 2.0 client software or MDAC? 

To use the NS API for SQL Server 2005, you'll need to install the NS client software on your web server (client).  If you do not plan to use the NS API from the web server, you do not need to install it.

SQLClient in the .Net Framework 2.0 requires MDAC 2.8.  As such anything that uses SQLClient to communicate with a SQL Server database (SQL Server 2005 or other version) will need MDAC 2.8 to be deployed on the client computer.   This includes the NS API. 

If you're trying to access SQL Server 2005 using Native code.  You'll need to install SNAC that comes with SQL Server 2005.

Regarding other client software - this really depends on what your applicaiton is trying to do.  I am not aware of other software you'd need specifically for using NS client API or SQL Client.

-Lukasz
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 6:45 PM
  • Peter,
    Your ASP.NET 2.0 subscription management application will need to call the NS subscriber/subscription APIs, which are packaged as part of the NS client components. YOu can install these independently of the other SQL Server client components, from the "Advanced" screen in SQL 2005 setup.

You may also need the SQL Native Client to be installed. However, I'm not an expert on that, so I can't say for sure. You may have better luck in one of the other SQL forums.
    -shyam
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:41 PM