Restricting Access to "Tools-> My notifications" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have SCSM Incident Resolver Roles setup for the Console users, however they have access to  “My Notifications” in the Menu.  

There are 40,000 + users and I don’t want the system flooded with Subscription and Email templates. Is there any way to block access to “My Notifications” to user other than admins ?

Thanks,

Phil

• Edited by philhunter Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:36 PM Clarification
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:42 PM

Answers

• Phil, I don't think it's what you would like to hear but regardless what you do. Any normal console user (e.g. Incident Resolvers) can add notification to any unsealed MP using "Tools\My notifications" (even if you create a new uses role "Incident Resolvers" with NO tasks, thes users in this role are still able to create "My notifications" and save to unsealed MP) On a side note: "My notifications" assigns only the user who created the notification as recipient but definitely it creates new workflow.
    Friday, August 30, 2013 6:44 AM

All replies

• You have 40.000+ users that are in the Incident Resolver Role? Is there a reason for this?

Normally it's fine just to have the helpdesk analysts in the Incident Resolver role and all the other "end-users" in the "end-user role".

And why all 40.000+ users should use the SCSM console? Are all these 40.000 + users really helpdesk analysts?

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:10 PM
  • No, there are 40.000+ users but if the Incident Resolver Role users set up email templates and subscriptions, they will flood the system. I just want to disable the "My Notifications" option for Incident Resolver Roles and only allow admins this option.

• Edited by philhunter Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:24 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Phil, have you tried to create a notification with a user that is only in the incident resolver role?

Notifications are stored in MPs and I believe you may not be able to use the My notification option anyway without being in the administrators role. I have not tested that scenario yet.

Can you test with a user that is only assigned that role?

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:10 PM
  • I havn't actually tried that. I will try it and get back to you.
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:30 PM
  • What Sam said (with the addition that users in the Authors role can do it as well).

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Phil, I don't think it's what you would like to hear but regardless what you do. Any normal console user (e.g. Incident Resolvers) can add notification to any unsealed MP using "Tools\My notifications" (even if you create a new uses role "Incident Resolvers" with NO tasks, thes users in this role are still able to create "My notifications" and save to unsealed MP) On a side note: "My notifications" assigns only the user who created the notification as recipient but definitely it creates new workflow.
    Friday, August 30, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Yeah, I created a "Incident Resolver" and he still had access to "My notifications". I don't think there is a way to limit this option. Thanks for the input though.
    Friday, August 30, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Just for clarification. Were you able to create the notification and store it in an MP and an Incident Resolver?

Or is the validation based on seeing the option?

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Yes, I was able to create a notification and store it in a MP as an incident resolver.
    Friday, September 6, 2013 3:41 PM
  • One of my Help Desk analysts just used Tools | My Notifications to set up his own subscription.  Internal workflows, for First Assigned Date, and e-mail notifications stoped working immediately.  His action caused the Service Manager Incident Management Configuration Library MP to change.  This caused an immediate error in the Event Viewer logs:  “A monitoring host in unresponsive or has crashed.  The status code for the host failure was 2164195371.”  This is Event ID 4000.  Upon disabling the analysts self-created subscription, workflows and queued e-mail notification began to flow again.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:08 PM