Scrolling inside inactive windows [feature request] RRS feed

• General discussion

• Basically, I'd like to scroll inside windows that don't have focus (aren't 'active').

For example: I have two programs side by side and I just want to hover the mouse pointer over the other program and scroll, without clicking on it and giving it focus first. Or another example: using Windows Explorer and scrolling in the side panel without clicking there first.

This is IMO the most intuitive way and if you asked people if they wanted it, I'm sure at least 95% of them would agree immediately.

But you can make it optional. Just add an option to enable this under the Mouse settings.

-

This is something that is extremely frustrating about Windows, compared to other operating systems, which let you scroll regardless of focus. I cannot stress this enough.

For those that don't believe me: try one of the several 3rd party tools that let you enable this functionality in Windows. WizMouse is one, for example. The problem is that none of these 3rd party tools are perfect, they have some small compatibility issues and sometimes require admin rights to function properly, so this should really be handled by Windows natively.

• Edited by e-double Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:58 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:57 PM

All replies

• Hi e-double,

Thanks for your suggestion. You could submit this issue at following website:

https://connect.microsoft.com/directory/

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Friday, May 24, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Thanks, but there's only Windows Server feedback there (or rather bug discussion).

Hopefully the people responsible for Windows UI can see this here.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Hi e-double,

I have helped you submit the request. The product development center will be focus on this question. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Monday, May 27, 2013 2:35 AM