none
Unaccounted PC's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I have a scenario where I have created a text file containing all the PC's I would like to target. This list was created by a network scan tool, so the PC's have been verified as valid endpoints.

After setting up MAPS to scan using this text file, I have a big difference between the numbers reported by MAPS. The text file contains 588 PC names, the status window during the scan indicates 588 PC's discovered, the scan reflects that 588 PC's were successfully scanned.

However, when I look under the Inventory Summary Results and the Discovery and Readiness Reports, a lesser number is reflected. Even if I look in the Failed and Successfull section, the numbers dont add up.

Any ideas on why and how do I track why these missing PC's are not been reflected?

Stephane 

Friday, September 3, 2010 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

MAP has a report (Machine Inventory Report) with details about each machine it inventoried or failed to inventory, you can generate that report and troubleshoot the issue further. You can generate the report from File | Prepare New Reports and Proposals ->Hardware, Software Summary and Machine Inventory Results.

-Kingsley

Friday, September 3, 2010 11:15 PM
  • read my question again....."when I look under the Inventory Summary Results and the Discovery and Readiness Reports, a lesser number is reflected. Even if I look in the Failed and Successfull section, the numbers dont add up."

Stephane

Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Noticed the following after comapring the input and output, generating a lsit of "missing" pc's to be scanned. Then created a new db. Below is a section of the resulting log file.

What does GetEnumerator Failed: Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80080005) mean?

<2010-09-06 10:09:01.47 WorkerThread158@WmiClassesCollectionStep,E> CreateCollectorClassInstances(Device(GUID={d6e17d79-4d93-4974-a0cd-5e646973c1a7},DnsHostName='WKS4083'), <WmiClass Namespace='root\CIMV2' ClassName='Win32_SerialPort'>) GetEnumerator Failed: Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80080005)
       |   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       |   at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
       |   at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.InventoryEngine.DeviceInventory.WmiClassesCollectionStep.CreateCollectorClassInstances(WmiCollectionState stateRec, CollectorClassCollectionState cccs, CollectorClass cc, ManagementObjectCollection objectCollection)
       |Location of error report:
       |   at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.InventoryEngine.DeviceInventory.WmiClassesCollectionStep.CreateCollectorClassInstances(WmiCollectionState stateRec, CollectorClassCollectionState cccs, CollectorClass cc, ManagementObjectCollection objectCollection)
       |
    <2010-09-06 10:09:01.59 WorkerThread50@WmiClassesCollectionStep,E> CreateCollectorClassInstances(Device(GUID={3215d4d1-626d-495a-aadd-81e91d575e13},DnsHostName='WKS3152'), <WmiClass Namespace='root\CIMV2' ClassName='Win32_TimeZone'>): ErrorCode: ProviderLoadFailure Exception: System.Management.ManagementException: Provider load failure
       |   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       |   at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
       |
    <2010-09-06 10:09:01.64 WorkerThread1@WmiClassesCollectionStep,E> CreateCollectorClassInstances(Device(GUID={165beb41-c4a2-4719-a477-06ca3d1197e7},DnsHostName='trcp3879'), <WmiClass Namespace='root\CIMV2' ClassName='Win32_WindowsProductActivation'>) GetEnumerator Failed: Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80080005)
       |   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       |
    <2010-09-06 10:09:01.75 WorkerThread38@WmiClassesCollectionStep,E> CreateCollectorClassInstances(Device(GUID={fc421a27-094b-4310-9299-9ed487de0f60},DnsHostName='WKS3928'), <WmiClass Namespace='root\CIMV2' ClassName='Win32_USBController'>) GetEnumerator Failed: Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80080005)
       |
    <2010-09-06 10:09:01.81 WorkerThread93@WmiClassesCollectionStep,E> CreateCollectorClassInstances(Device(GUID={43b6026b-ea29-4ac8-9290-22ba4a5f5c3c},DnsHostName='WKS3797'), <WmiClass Namespace='root\CIMV2' ClassName='Win32_SerialPort'>) GetEnumerator Failed: Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80080005)
       |

Monday, September 6, 2010 8:26 AM
  • This looks like three different bugs

1) WMI failed when it shouldn't have (The COMException and ProviderLoad errors are being thrown when MAPS is trying to use WMI to talk to the remote computer).  MAPS is the victim here.....

2) MAPS may not be handling these particular excepitons correctly when they're thrown at this precise point in the WMI conversation.   Generally, we try to catch these kinds of exceptions when they occur, stop inventorying that particular computer temporarily, and reschedule that computer to be retried later during the same inventory run.  That exception handling logic may not be in place at this exact point in the program.  This is occuring where MAPS has received a result set from a WMI query and is trying to iterate over the results.

3)  Due to the way that the exception was apparently mishandled in item 2, there may not have been an inventory result code written to the database for those particular devices.  The third bug is that the inventory report may be skipping any computer that doesn't have a result code written.

I'll take a look at the code & see if this is indeed what is happening.....

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Thanks Jay for your response. It seems that we have also made contact with each other via the local MS representatives here in South Africa. I sent you the db for your perusal, as per your request.

Stephane

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:19 PM
  • We investigated this some more.  It looks like there was catastrophic failure of the WMI client on the machine that MAPS was installed on.  What basically happened was for every target machine that MAPS inventoried, each WMI class that was queried returned 0 instances and no error for about half of the queried classes, and the other half of the classes queried failed with one of the various errors you saw in the log file.

The only thing that was retrieved successfully from each target machine was the list of installed programs (gathered via the registry rather than from one of the Win32_* WMI classes).

This led to an odd set of circumstances that gave the results you saw in the UI:  since one set of data was retrieved successfully (the installed products list), the machine was considered to be inventoried "Successfully".  But since no other data was retrieved at all, the machine got filtered out of the views in the UI since there wasn't data available to show.

My recommendation at this point is to reboot the machine that you have MAPS installed on and try again.  If it fails in the same way, then try installing MAPS on a different machine.  The failures MAPS is getting from the WMI calls aren't something that MAPS can work around and indicates to me that the machine is in a bad state.

Thanks,
    Jay

Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Rebooted PC, same symptoms

Reinstalled new PC, same symptoms.

Sending you db from newly built PC for your perusal.

Stephane

Friday, September 10, 2010 9:54 AM