none
Can I save a custom filter RRS feed

• Question

• Management is trying to get me to use the online Office 365 version of Project instead of my desktop version. One stumbling block I see is I can't save a custom filter. Or am I just doing it wrong? TIA!
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:55 PM

Answers

• Steve --

Allow me to chime in.  Your management is making a serious mistake if they think that the web-based project management tools in the Project Center page of Project Web App project will replace the Microsoft Project desktop application.  As you have already found, the project management capabilities of the PWA user interface are only a small subset of the features available for managing projects using Microsoft Project connected to Project Online.  I would encourage them to rethink their decision, as I think they are making a mistake. Feel free to show them this post, if you care to do so.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by steve.o.smith Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:12 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve.o.smith,

Are you viewing the project in a browser?  if so, you have limited customisations available for you, typically defined by the Project Online administrator.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Yes, using a browser. So, subsequent to my prior post, I saw a view option, where there is a custom view. Since I don't see any way to customize views, can I assume this is something I need to talk to admin about?
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:28 PM
  • Steve --

Allow me to chime in.  Your management is making a serious mistake if they think that the web-based project management tools in the Project Center page of Project Web App project will replace the Microsoft Project desktop application.  As you have already found, the project management capabilities of the PWA user interface are only a small subset of the features available for managing projects using Microsoft Project connected to Project Online.  I would encourage them to rethink their decision, as I think they are making a mistake. Feel free to show them this post, if you care to do so.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by steve.o.smith Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:12 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:50 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for the input. I think that's helped us reach a decision. Since I'm the 'owner' of the schedule, I'm going to keep it checked out and edit it on my desktop version of project. Team members will be able to view the schedule by going to the online version of Project. Thanks again.

Steve.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:11 PM