After boot: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library This application has requested to terminate it in an unusual way RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

when I boot my PC, on some days several minutes after the boot I get this error, even when I do nothing!

I there a way to detect which application is involved in this error? Or which runtime library?

I can see that I have this libraries:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.4029
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.4029
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 x86 Redistributable - 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 x86 Redistributable - 9.0.30729.17
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 x86 Redistributable - 9.0.30729
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 x64 Redistributable - 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 x64 Redistributable - 9.0.30729.17
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 x64 Redistributable - 9.0.21022
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) - 8.0.61000
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) - 8.0.61000
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) - 8.0.59192
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable - 8.0.59193
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable - 8.0.56336
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable - 8.0.61001

In Control Panel \ Event Viewer I can see only a warning from the WindowsUpdateClient (see Protocol below), but I guess that is
    okay, because
    this is a company PC, administrated by somebody else.

The OS is Win7 64 bit.

Andreas.

Protokollname: System
    Quelle:        Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
    Datum:         25.07.2014 06:40:47
    Ereignis-ID:   16
    Aufgabenkategorie:Automatische Updates
    Ebene:         Warnung
    Schlüsselwörter:Verbindung
    Benutzer:      SYSTEM
    Computer:      HANWST071.hpsweet.han
    Beschreibung:
    Verbindung nicht möglich: Es konnte keine Verbindung mit dem Dienst "Automatische Updates" hergestellt werden, daher können Updates nicht nach dem angegebenen Zeitplan heruntergeladen und installiert werden. Es wird weiterhin versucht, eine Verbindung herzustellen.
    Ereignis-XML:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}" />
        <EventID>16</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Opcode>11</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000001</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-25T04:40:47.015360200Z" />
        <EventRecordID>146066</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1540" ThreadID="4960" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>HANWST071.hpsweet.han</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hello,

1. can you see any SideBySide errors on the event viewer? (if so you can check the sxstrace.exe to determine what library is causing this problem: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh875651.aspx)
    2. have you checked what programs start at the startup (msconfig.exe) and is there something that you have installed when this problem started?
    3. I used to get this everytime I closed some game and in the end it went a way after I repaired all my C++ redist. packages and installed the newest versions of the 2005 / 2008 / 2010 (I wasn't sure what package the game was using either)
    Monday, July 28, 2014 7:56 AM
    1. can you see any SideBySide errors on the event viewer? (if so you can check the sxstrace.exe to determine what library is causing this problem: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh875651.aspx)

Thank you for your reply.

This problem exists for a long time, we are not able to figure out the cause in our company, that's the reason for my post.

As this is a company PC, I (the end user) did not install any games or other softwares, only my admin has the rights to do that.

I am relatively sure that we did not install any softwarethat could related to this problem, we are, frankly, quite perplexed.

I have created 2 batch files to start and stopsxstrace.exe, the sxs_on.bat is executed from the Autostart folder.

sxs_on.bat

del c:\sxstrace.etl
    del c:\sxstrace.txt
    sxstrace trace -logfile:c:\sxstrace.etl -nostop

sxs_off.bat

sxstrace Stoptrace
    SxsTrace Parse -logfile:c:\SxsTrace.etl -outfile:c:\SxsTrace.txt
    notepad c:\SxsTrace.txt

After a normal boot I can see over 4900 lines in my SxsTrace.txt (converted from the sxstrace.etl). Will I find a line with an "error" in the output when the RTE occurs? Or for what keyword should I look?

Andreas.

Monday, July 28, 2014 11:47 AM
  • Hello,

wow that's a lot of lines. Usually the SideBySide errors can be found on event-viewer. This will give you the first indication that the trace tool can capture the reason of the error (sxstrace may or may not log your error if it has nothing to do with the SideBySide errors so if the error is NOT about the compatibility between different versions OR missing library parts sxstrace may not log the error). So you should check the event viewer first:

1. You should be able to find "Error" when searching the log (how ever I'm not 100% sure....can't remember and I couldn't find any example files of the syntax... weird?)
    2. IF you can find SideBySide errors on the event viewer the main thing is that the logging is ON when you get the error msg. But the problem here is that you might capture too much... like in your case has now happened.
    Monday, July 28, 2014 12:21 PM
  • wow that's a lot of lines. Usually the SideBySide errors can be found on event-viewer.

Yes, a lot, but almost any line begins with "Information".

I've already checked the event-viewer, the only event I can see (in the minute when the RTE occurs) is a warning from the WindowsUpdateClient, as I mentioned in my first post.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed information, I'll use the batch files until the RTE occurs again, maybe I can findsomething.

Andreas.

Monday, July 28, 2014 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

A runtime error is normally caused by an unsuccessful software installation or missing component, according to your situation, there might be a lack of Visual C++ component, or the component is corrupted.

I suggest to reinstall or repair the component in this way:

Download the component from microsoft site here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=5555

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=14632

and install the package accordingly, if the installation is already detected by the package, choose the “repair” item.

Regards

Wade Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Monday, August 11, 2014 2:51 AM
    Friday, August 1, 2014 5:03 AM