none
dpm 2012 sp1 scheduled jobs disappearing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new dpm 2012 sp1 cu2 install and none of the back up jobs are running as scheduled, manually they run fine

this is a 1 server setup with sql 2008 r2 from the install dvd

this is the error that I see in the in the event log, I have followed all the posts onere and google and I can't seem to get the scheduled jobs to kick off

SQL Server Scheduled Job '28199995-d3a1-4e93-a909-65e19ec49ee2' (0x33125EBE7C2EBC4B902B5FA9D5FB7D00) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2013-08-20 08:00:00 - Message: The job failed.  The Job was invoked by Schedule 22 (Schedule 1).  The last step to run was step 1 (Default JobStep).

eventid 208

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:28 PM

Answers

• Ok,

Mystery solved...

<snip>
    I have sccm, scom,scvmm on the same server as well and they are all working fine
    >snip<

Installing DPM
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758153.aspx

DPM is designed to run on a dedicated, single-purpose server. The DPM server should not be installed on any of the following:

• A computer on which the Application Server role is installed
    • A computer that is an Operations Manager management server
    • A computer on which Exchange Server is running
    • A computer that is a node of a cluster

Please use a dedicated server for DPM.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by damac77 Friday, August 23, 2013 12:51 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi

1.) Open SQL management studio and connect to the DPM Instance.
    2.) Expand "SQL Server Agent"
    3.) Expand "Jobs"

look to see if any jobs are disabled (have a down arrow) - if so, proceed with the next step.

Run the SQL query to get a list of valid DPM jobs.

use DPMDB
    select sche.ScheduleId as 'SQL agent Schedule Job Name', prot.FriendlyName as 'Protection Group'
    from tbl_SCH_ScheduleDefinition sche
    left join dbo.tbl_JM_JobDefinition jobd
    join tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup prot
    on jobd.ProtectedGroupId = prot.ProtectedGroupId
    on sche.JobDefinitionId = jobd.JobDefinitionId
    where sche.IsDeleted = '0' and jobd.ProtectedGroupId is not null
    order by prot.FriendlyName

Compared the output against the scheduled jobs with the arrow pointing down on the left hand side. If a job in the list from the query showed up as NOT enabled, manually enable the schedule job by right-clicking it and choose enable.

The only other cause might be because you change the SQL account after DPM was installed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:23 PM
  • so I ran the query which listed all the jobs

when I compare them to the list of jobs under the sql server agent area none of numbers thast show up in the query are listed in the jobs folder

none of them It's like creating the pg didn't actually create the agent jobs to perform the backups

the sql account wasn't changed int he beginning I just changed it afterwards to a domain admin account to see if that would get it to go

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:26 PM
  • so after going thru the pg and having it reapply I refreshed the jobs in the agent and they were all there

most of them were disabled

I have gone thru and enabled all the correct jobs as per the query and will report back in a bit

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, anytime you go through the protection group wizard even if you don't change anything, new SQL jobs get created.  You will need to re-run the script and refresh the SQL jobs to see the latest job.

Be sure to change the SQL agent back to default.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:54 PM
  • so I was hopeful but no it still didn't work

Executed as user: servername\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct. The process could not be created for step 1 of job 0x0D2694D05A63BE47BE15CF14F0186341 (reason: 193).  The step failed.

this is the error I get in the jobs history from the agent in ssms and below is the event that gets logged in the event viewer I checked the scheduled job number and it isn't disabled

SQL Server Scheduled Job '583bd01f-2821-4d40-8af2-f7b2da10c4d6' (0xBFB1A589423ADE4E928546920BEC6331) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2013-08-20 15:00:00 - Message: The job failed.  The Job was invoked by Schedule 109 (Schedule 1).  The last step to run was step 1 (Default JobStep).

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any application event messages from SQL agent about having trouble with triggerjobs.exe

If so, Assign at least read and execute permissions on the parent folder containing the “TriggerJob.exe” file for all authenticated users and administrators or the local user account Microsoft$DPM$Acct.

For DPM 2012 default installation path is: C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:57 PM
  • in the application event viewer I only msg's about all the jobs failing is below, I have added authenticated users and domain admins to that folder as the dpm acct was alrezdy there but I upt the security to full control to see if that makes a difference,

I did notice that the sql agent jobs for 1 of the pg's where all disabled again so I enabled them all, weird

SQL Server Scheduled Job '7f5a32ec-9e0e-4407-a7ab-7c88209d0453' (0x4713EC190E8B0B479683EFECD1FA32A7) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2013-08-21 08:04:00 - Message: The job failed.  The Job was invoked by Schedule 146 (Schedule 2).  The last step to run was step 1 (Default JobStep).

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:27 PM
  • I did notice when I look at the triggerjob and where it is failing that there is 2 jobs in the trigger path

TriggerJob.exe b9b9c0cc-b348-4f35-be90-0cbcfa545136 19331297-c3e7-40e9-a00e-c2e480eedb4b servername

don't know if this is normal as i'm not a sql guy

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

Yes that is normal, the first GUID is the JobDefinitionID and the second GUID matches the SQL Job.

If you just right-click one of the SQL jobs and select "Run job at step..." does that succeed ?

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:16 PM
  • so

I uninstalled and reinstalled dpm and installed cu2 and created a new dpm database instance

I created a small protection group just to test and the initial sync works fine but no scheduled jobs again and I get the exact same errors as before, I checked and all the jobs are enabled

I'm at a loss

SQL Server Scheduled Job 'eb814ac9-309a-4c4f-a16d-cc8e66f442df' (0x71493533EA03C34786E59EBEFC1749F3) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2013-08-21 11:45:00 - Message: The job failed.  The Job was invoked by Schedule 22 (Schedule 1).  The last step to run was step 1 (Default JobStep).

Executed as user: domain admin. The process could not be created for step 1 of job 0x71493533EA03C34786E59EBEFC1749F3 (reason: 193).  The step failed.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

It sounds to me like you have some kind of domain GPO policy that is being applied that is interfering in some way.  Can you place the DPM Server in it's own OU and block inheritance to see if that makes a difference. 

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:57 PM
  • so I moved the server and ran a gpo force there are no policies being applied

still the same problem

the server is 2012 and the sql is 2008 r2

is this supported or is there an update or should I try it with sql 2012

I'm open to anything at this point as backups haven't been running for about a week

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:17 PM
  • going to try sql 2008 r2 sp2 cu7

will update soon

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Are you certain you are running dpm 2012 sp1 cu2 and not UR3 (4.1.3414.0) because we did have regression in UR3 that effected scheduled jobs.

FYI - We Re-Released UR3 yesterday with the fixes and is available here:

Rollup 3 for System Center 2012 SP1 - Data Protection Manager (KB2877075)
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=2877075

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:16 PM
  • so i've updated dpm 2012 sp1 to cu3 version 4.1.3417.0 and sql 2008 r2 sp2 cu7

scheduled jobs still don't run and I still get the same errors as before

do you know what server rights are required on the sql agent account

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

There are no user right assignments for the MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct.

C:\temp>accesschk.exe -a Contoso\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct *

Accesschk v5.10 - Reports effective permissions for securable objects
    Copyright (C) 2006-2012 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:25 PM
  • I think there is a disconnect between the sql agent and the database

when I run the process monitor for when the job is supposed to run I get a bunch of regquery values with name not found

when I look into the registry the entries do not exist

is there a sql prep or something I need to run

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Is the DPM SQL DB local on the DPM Server or a remote SQL Server ?

If local, there is nothing special that needs to be done.   If remote SQL, then SQLPREP is a prerequisite and should have already been ran on the remote SQL Server before you can use it for DPMDB. 

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:44 PM
  • the dpm server db is local and dpm is an instance

I have sccm, scom,scvmm on the same server as well and they are all working fine

I did notice that in the temp folder on the server the msdpmcurr.errlog and other log files in that folder have the wrong time the events it is listing are anywhere from 2 to  4 hours in the future from now

so far I have disabled the UAC and modified the permissions on all the folders on this server and I still get the exact same errors eventid 208 for the sqlagent

and the sqlagent jobs are failing on step 1 with a cause of 193 which I looked that up and can't find reference to that error code anywhere

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:06 PM
  • if I take the command line E:\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin\TriggerJob.exe 4b21a554-a05c-4320-a373-6210566c12b8 2c38e4a1-cb24-4def-af1f-8d68c5eb8671 servername from the failed job  and just run it from the exlorer menu it kicks off the job no problem

so the issue is when the sqlagent tries to do the same thing it is failing

very strange

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Ok,

Mystery solved...

<snip>
    >snip<

Installing DPM
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758153.aspx

DPM is designed to run on a dedicated, single-purpose server. The DPM server should not be installed on any of the following:

• A computer on which the Application Server role is installed
    • A computer that is an Operations Manager management server
    • A computer on which Exchange Server is running
    • A computer that is a node of a cluster

Please use a dedicated server for DPM.

• Marked as answer by damac77 Friday, August 23, 2013 12:51 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:38 PM
  • got everything moved over to a new server

will mark as answer in the am if the jobs run over night, thanx for the help

Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:30 PM
  • I am getting the exact same error message:  [136] Job 15e01794-ae32-4a14-a1e3-4c4ca2118673 reported: The process could not be created for step 1 of job 0xFCCBD54BBABEC940B0F67563ABD41B84 (reason: The system cannot find the file specified)

I am running DPM 2012 SP1 Version: 4.1.3417.0 and remote SQL 2008 R2 fully patched.  When I drill into the directory the job step references "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012\SQLPrep\TriggerJob.exe" there is nothing there.  Nothing beyond the SQLPrep directory other than 2 log files.  As with everybody else I can run the jobs manually no problem.  The schedules all exist, permissions seem to be OK, but the jobs simply do NOT exist in this directory; maybe they are not supposed to??  This setup has worked for over a year but I did a failed live migration of the SQL Server.  I moved the .vhd and and rebuilt the VM in Hyper-V after I rebuilt physical server.  Manually moved SQL machine back after fresh install of Server 2012 R2 and again created new VM using old .vhd.  Everything seems to work fine except scheduled jobs.  Again, they do NOT exist in the directory path specified by the job.  HELP!!??  I have also added the newly rebuilt server to Protection Groups AND added other VMs to a PG thinking this would rewrite the jobs where they needed to go but no dice............

Sunday, October 27, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Try reapplying the SQL prep from the media.

I'm having a similar issue with a remote (clustered) SQL 2012 SP1, patched and DPM 2012 R2 (which supports cluster).

Triggerjob.exe is there, but it fails.

I've already added the service account to sys admins (which fixed the initial error I had about the account not having rights), now it seems it doesn't find the file in the folder:

Problem signature:
    P1: TriggerJob
    P2: 4.2.1205.0
    P3: TriggerJob.exe
    P4: 4.2.1205.0
    P5: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    P6: System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal
    P7: 33431035
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Saty tuned...

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Ok, it seems I had to add the service account to the local administrators group and add it as sysadmin.

I failed over the cluster just so the accounts would log on again and now the jobs run.

See the full story here:

http://fehse.ca/2013/11/dpm-2012-jobs-wont-start-on-a-remote-sql-instance/

Thank you,

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Some of my jobs were disabled, too. I added a little to Mike's query to list whether a job is disabled or not to make it a little easier on me. Thought I'd throw this up here:

USE DPMDB
    SELECT jobs.name,jobs.enabled,DPMJobs.ProtectionGroup
    FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs as "jobs"
    JOIN (

SELECT sche.ScheduleId AS 'DPMJobID', prot.FriendlyName AS 'ProtectionGroup' 
    	FROM tbl_SCH_ScheduleDefinition sche
    		LEFT JOIN dbo.tbl_JM_JobDefinition jobd
    		JOIN tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup prot
    			ON jobd.ProtectedGroupId = prot.ProtectedGroupId
    			ON sche.JobDefinitionId = jobd.JobDefinitionId
    	WHERE sche.IsDeleted = '0' AND jobd.ProtectedGroupId IS NOT NULL
    	) AS "DPMJobs" ON  jobs.name = CONVERT(VARCHAR(255),DPMJobs.DPMJobID)
    ORDER BY jobs.name

Matthew

Friday, May 9, 2014 10:56 PM