none
Multiple baselines - Costs not updating RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am using MS Project 2013 Professional and am having trouble with the use of multiple Baselines. It's the first time I've tried to use Baselines, so hopefully I'm making a simple mistake somewhere but I'm finding that latest Baselined Cost fields are not updating with fresh values. My steps were as follows:

1. Created new auto-scheduled project. Set Project Start Date to 01/01/2014.
    2. Using the Resource Sheet, I entered a new resource, named R1 and with a Std. Rates of £50/hr.
    3. I then switched to the Task Usage view. 
    4. I will be working with Work hours at a monthly level, so I set the Timescale for the usage view to be: Top Tier = Years; Middle Tier = Quarters; Bottom Tier = Months. 
    5. I have started off with the Work field displayed on the timephased portion of the usage view. 

6. Still in the Task Usage view, I entered a summary task (Summary Task 1) and 2 child tasks (Task 1 and Task 1b). They have the following dates:
    7. Task 1a. Start = 01/01/14. Finish = 31/01/14 (Euro dates!)
    8. Task 1b. Start = 03/02/14. Finish = 28/02/14.
    9. As the tasks are auto-scheduled, the Start and Finish dates of Summary Task 1 are auto-set to 01/01/14 and 28/02/14 respectively. 
    10. I then assigned resource R1 to both Task 1a and Task 1b. 
    11. Project automatically enters Work hours for the assignments, but I set them all to zero. 
    12. I then entered 10 hours for R1 on Task 1a in January and entered 10 hours for R1 on Task 1b in February. 
    13. Adding the Cost field to the timephased section of the screen, allowed me to see that each assignment costed £500.
    14. This data was my first Baseline. I clicked on Project, Set Baseline and saved it under the unnumbered 'Baseline'.

15. I then changed each of the assignment Work hours from 10 to 20 hours. Assignment costs were now £1000. 
    16. I again adjusted the fields being displayed in the timephased section of the screen to the following (values for each assignment shown in brackets): Baseline Work (10h), Work (20h), Baseline Cost (£500) and Cost (£1000).
    17. I then saved this as a second Baseline. I clicked Project, Set Baseline and saved it under 'Baseline 2'.

18. Again adjusting the fields being displayed, I could now see the following values for each assignment: Baseline Work (10h), Baseline2 Work (20h), Work (20h), Baseline Cost (£500), Baseline2 Cost (£500) and Cost (£1000).

I was hoping that Baseline2 Cost of each assignment would now equal £1000, to correspond with the work hours saved under Baseline2 Work i.e. 20h x £50/h = £1000. 

The original cause for my question is the need to plot histograms of Baseline, Revised Baseline and Actual Costs. With this problem, my Revised Baseline costs are unchanged from the original Baseline values. 

I'm still quite new to Project; am I misunderstanding the functionality? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Arjun

p.s. any tips on how to go about verifying my account would be handy, as I'm currently unable to upload a screenshot :(

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:45 PM

Answers

• Arjun --

I ran a quick test and the bug is NOT present in Microsoft Project 2010.  If you need to revert to the older version of the software, I would strongly recommend you apply the absolute latest Service Pack and Cumulative Update available.  I hate for this bug to be a deal breaker on 2013, but it would be a lot of extra work for you to try and work around it.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by ac18 Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:02 PM

All replies

• ac18 --

If it is any consolation to you, I can confirm exactly what you are seeing.  The Baseline 2 Cost is not being shown correctly in the timephased grid, although the Baseline 2 Work value is correct in the timephased grid.  If memory serves me correctly, I believe this is a documented bug in Microsoft Project 2013, although it has not yet been fixed.  In the meantime, I would recommend that you updated your Microsoft Project 2013 with Service Pack 1 and the latest Cumulative Update, if you have not done so already.  Until then, it looks like we have to live with the bug.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Thanks Dale, 

I have downloaded and installed the latest Cumulative Update for Project 2013 (a hotfix dated July 2014), but unfortunately it hasn't helped. I already had Service Pack 1 installed (as a fix for another bug). 

Do you have any recommendations on how I can get around the issue? The only alternative I can think of is to export data to Excel and use that to manually calculate Cost fields. This could however mean a lot of Excel-formulae work as I have a large number of resources, each with different charge-out rates. I may be at a risk of using a manual spreadsheet, where I should be using a purpose-built application?

Do you know if previous versions of Project had this bug? If not, maybe I can roll back to an older version?

Thanks, 

Arjun

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:29 PM
  • Arjun --

I ran a quick test and the bug is NOT present in Microsoft Project 2010.  If you need to revert to the older version of the software, I would strongly recommend you apply the absolute latest Service Pack and Cumulative Update available.  I hate for this bug to be a deal breaker on 2013, but it would be a lot of extra work for you to try and work around it.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by ac18 Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Thanks Dale, 

That's very reassuring to know. It really is a shame about 2013, but great to know I have an option. Why is it so buggy??

Thanks again, 

Arjun

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:06 AM