none
Strange GPO issue - GPO processing for component "Registry" failed.

Question

• Hi All,

Recently we had couple of users complaining that some of the GPO settings are not applied to their PCs.

When I ran RSOP on there PC I see "GPO processing for component "Registry" failed."

When I checked other user PC (both same build / Hardware and win 7 PCs) rsop was not giving any errors.

Both the PCs and users are getting same set of GPOs applied.

After troubleshooting for some time I found that when I disable GPO setting "Disable regedit from running silently? - Yes", registry component of rsop works with out issues. I am bit confused why on one PC it works fine with out issue and not on other PC.

What is the relation ship between GPO setting "Disable regedit from running silently" and GPO component "Registry".

Did any one else had similar issues?... Please suggest.

Note: we have around 100 PCs only 20 PCs are showing this issue.

Thanks

• Edited by Ni0 Wednesday, August 05, 2015 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2015 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Ni0,

On each GPO refresh, the Group Policy Registry Client Side Extension (CSE) determines if any changes were made to any of the policies in the RSOP for this CSE. If no changes were detected, then the registry CSE does not process the GPOs and thus registry changes. If changes were detected, then the registry CSE processes the registry.pol for each GPO in the RSOP in the correct order to update the workstations registry. This may the disable policy effect situation.

Group Policy Preferences

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dn581922.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:13 AM

All replies

• > When I ran RSOP on there PC I see "GPO processing for component
    > "Registry" failed."

rsop.msc is deprecated - you should use gpmc.msc or "gpresult /h
    report.html" from an elevated commandline.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Thursday, August 06, 2015 10:18 AM
  • I get same result when I use gpmc.msc or "gpresult /h
    report.html" from an elevated command line.

• Edited by Ni0 Thursday, August 06, 2015 2:23 PM
    Thursday, August 06, 2015 2:23 PM
  • > I get same result when I use gpmc.msc or "gpresult /h
    > report.html" from an elevated command line.

Ok. What's the exact wording of the error message? And in eventviewer,
    there's a Group Policy Eventlog - any errors/warnings there?

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Thursday, August 06, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Hi Ni0,

On each GPO refresh, the Group Policy Registry Client Side Extension (CSE) determines if any changes were made to any of the policies in the RSOP for this CSE. If no changes were detected, then the registry CSE does not process the GPOs and thus registry changes. If changes were detected, then the registry CSE processes the registry.pol for each GPO in the RSOP in the correct order to update the workstations registry. This may the disable policy effect situation.

Group Policy Preferences

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dn581922.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:13 AM