SCCM 2012 R2 and Inventory of Software Editions (SAM) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I'm trying to find an answer (by lack of test environment) on the following ->

From what I've read SCCM 2012 R2 hardware inventory does not include edition information (like SQL Advanced, Exchange Advanced..) in it's information gathered via the client. Mostly I see solutions which are directed to creating custom mof files for edition detection.

Does enabling Asset Intelligence solve the problem in fulfilling the requirement to have edition information for MS products without having to customize any other files?

I'm a bit confused about the ability of SCCM to import MSVL and do a bit of SAM, while the product itself seems to be incapable, out of the box, to gather the correct Edition information.

• Edited by D-RMZ Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:21 AM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The Configuration Manager Asset Intelligence catalog is a set of database tables stored in the site database that contain categorization and identification information for over 300,000 software titles and versions.

When you enable Asset Intelligence, the Product Name contain the edition information.

For more information, please review the link below:

SCCM Asset Intelligence & Software Licensing Usage

http://www.techygeekshome.co.uk/2012/12/asset-intelligence-software-licencing.html

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 11, 2015 8:16 AM