Folder sizes/view settings not sticking - will it ever be fixed? RRS feed

• Question

• I;ve seen a lot of posts about this, and just wanted to ask if anyone knows if it will ever be fixed?

Vista has had the problems with explorer not remembering folder views/sizes since it release years ago, but windows 7 is much, much worse. I have 7 PCs at home, and I'm not upgrading a single one of them until M$ fix this problem.

I have the RC installed and it drove me nuts within 30 minutes having to resize and set up my view preferences *EVERY* time I opened a folder.

Has M$ even officially acknowledged this problem, because I've also seen a some posts from MSFT people stating that they cant duplicate the problem or that BagMRU Size fixes the problems (Which it doesn't)

I also fix computers and recommend upgrades to people on a daily basis, and until such time as it is fixed I will be steering people not only away from Windows 7, but towards MACs and Linux.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:54 PM

Answers

• We came, we saw, we complained, we reported it.  And, we were ignored.

Doc
    • Marked as answer by Yanta0205 Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:06 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As you mentioned, it is a bug which is already reported.

Before it got fixed, we can do the following steps to workaround it:

1. Go to Control Panel --- Folder Options.

2. Go to View tab, click Reset Folders button.

Please understand that it is just a workaround and the issue may reoccur.

As an end user I can fully understand the inconvenience it causes. As it is reported, I think it should be fixed soon.

Thursday, September 3, 2009 6:06 AM
  • How have you tried to address the problem yourself?
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:18 AM
  • I'm afraid writing program code for windows is a long way out of my depth :-) Seriously, I've spent many sleepless nights googling for solutions (for 7 and Vista), and playing with settings on my test machine trying to find a way around it. Did you have something else in mind?

btw: Since the problem happens with *every* folder *every* time, using the reset folders button actually doesn't do much, if anything at all.

The problem has never been fixed in Vista. It's like the MMC problem, which has been around for almost a decade now. I suspect Microsoft may never actually fix this issue. Despite the facade that they actually care about end users, I think it is all hype. I've spent the last two days playing with linux distros, which so far have been much more stable and reliable.

I'll keep my eye on this, and if it gets fixed, I'll look at deploying WIndows 7 on my systems.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:48 PM
  • What I fail to understand is how the programmers went about using win 7 in this condition.
    I don't know anything about programing but how this got by all the beta tests etc etc
    is absolutely mind boggling.

I have purchased a small program that works to fix each individual window size and it works.
    Called WindowManager.

Still $49.95 for Win 7 + a $10.00 windows positioning app is still a good deal......
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:58 PM
  • What I fail to understand is how the programmers went about using win 7 in this condition.
    I don't know anything about programing but how this got by all the beta tests etc etc
    is absolutely mind boggling.

The programmers still use XP.

Just kidding.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Whats disappointing is that people reported the problem during the beta phase. I was one of them. And it got to RTM with an October release date with the problems intact. This just flies in the face of complete arrogance on Microsofts part. They asked for feedback, got it and ignored it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the developers use MAC or Linux systems. Developing a flawed OS (Eg Windows), on Windows would be unstable... Heck, they might even end up with bugs in the OS... <sigh> :-)

Enough, I've had my rant for today..

I saw on another thread on the same subject where a "MSFT Moderator" of this forum suggested using ShellExView?? lol
    Friday, September 4, 2009 1:27 AM
  • We came, we saw, we complained, we reported it.  And, we were ignored.

Doc
    • Marked as answer by Yanta0205 Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:06 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Shaon,
    Resetting the folders does NOT solve the problem. Not even for 1 second. Resetting the folders does nothing whatsoever to resolving the issue.

There is little point marking your suggestion as the solution when it is not.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:06 AM
  • I realise this is not the best way to fix this but a 3rd party program "Windows Manager 1.2" by Desksoft.com got things working for me.  It is rather a shame that we have to use a 3rd party program to fix something like this.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Hi,

Please understand that we are not the develop department so I can only report it to related group. Sorry I cannot help fix it on my side. Hope it can be fixed soon.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:04 AM
  • Shaon,

Just when was this "bug" reported?  It has been an ongoing issue since the beta and release of Vista (ie more than 4 years).  Certainly, it should be no surprise to anyone who moderates, contributes to, or views these forums.  And, it should be no surprise to anyone in the development of Vista or W7, unless they have a nice, functional explorer, used only internally, and kept well hidden from the rest of the world that uses Vista or W7.

Please, no suggestions about resetting folders, deleting Bags and BagMRU, adding BagMRUsize keys, or any other nonsense.

Sorry, but saying it has been reported sounds hollow...

Doc
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:15 AM
  • I'm afraid writing program code for windows is a long way out of my depth :-) Seriously, I've spent many sleepless nights googling for solutions (for 7 and Vista), and playing with settings on my test machine trying to find a way around it. Did you have something else in mind?

btw: Since the problem happens with *every* folder *every* time, using the reset folders button actually doesn't do much, if anything at all.

The problem has never been fixed in Vista. It's like the MMC problem, which has been around for almost a decade now. I suspect Microsoft may never actually fix this issue. Despite the facade that they actually care about end users, I think it is all hype. I've spent the last two days playing with linux distros, which so far have been much more stable and reliable.

I'll keep my eye on this, and if it gets fixed, I'll look at deploying WIndows 7 on my systems.
    the reason it was never fixed in vista is because the problem is only in win 7.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Shaon,

Just when was this "bug" reported?  It has been an ongoing issue since the beta and release of Vista (ie more than 4 years).  Certainly, it should be no surprise to anyone who moderates, contributes to, or views these forums.  And, it should be no surprise to anyone in the development of Vista or W7, unless they have a nice, functional explorer, used only internally, and kept well hidden from the rest of the world that uses Vista or W7.

Please, no suggestions about resetting folders, deleting Bags and BagMRU, adding BagMRUsize keys, or any other nonsense.

Sorry, but saying it has been reported sounds hollow...

Doc

i download the beta within 2 days of it being released and within 3 days of that i reported the bug.  i have on at 2 dozen other occasions reported the bug to microsour with no follow up on their part.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:24 PM

With all due respect, it has been around since vista. It's like alzheimers; it's a progressive disease. You anly have to google bagmru and you find hundreds of thousands of hits about the problem with vista. It's just that it's much, much worse in 7
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:43 AM

With all due respect, it has been around since vista. It's like alzheimers; it's a progressive disease. You anly have to google bagmru and you find hundreds of thousands of hits about the problem with vista. It's just that it's much, much worse in 7
    i'm just going to take your word for it, i have seen too many times where a windows feature will not either install on a machine or simply will not work correctly and it seems for no apparent reason.  i build computers for friends as well as myself and i have never had a problem with vista remembering all of independent view settings for my folders.  however just like with 95, 98, se, me, and xp i have seen one computer have a quirk and cannot recreate that quirk on another machine.  i have seen two machines that are identical down to the last piece of hardware and have installed all the programs in the same order and have tweaked each machine the same way and one machine will have problems and the other will never have any problems.  i do not want to argue the point with anyone i like you just want it fixed by microsoft once and for all. 
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Amen to that!

I guess my point was, since the issue has been around for so long, and like the problems with MMC gone unacknowledged by M$ for so many years, any hope that M$ would fix it seems remote.

Which is really disappointing, because I had heard all the hype about Windows 7 and I was actually looking forward to upgrading, and giving my customers an upgrade path from XP. But this and application compatibility and driver issues are so numerous as to make it an unwise choice :-(

I too biuild systems for a living. The larger the system (data-wise), the more likely the problem(s) were to exist. On my system I have hundreds of thousands of files on the local PC which is attached to a server with well over a million files, over tens of thousands of folders. On systems of that magnitude, the problem is very prevelant. That puts me well outside the bell curve of the normal user, which is why I tend to see so many faults.

But with Windows 7 you only need two folders to expeience the problem :-)

But hope is something that drives us mere mortals, perhaps they will fix it...

Sunday, October 11, 2009 10:36 PM
  • I to have spent relentless hrs off messing around with Bag MRU Size cach files in the registry, And nothing seems to resolve this issue (Windows Xp Service Pck 3). Ive spent months looking for a solution and depressive nights re-arranging my files because windows forgets why isn't micosoft taking this bug serouisly.. Because of this & many other issues i to would never upgrade to vista or windows 7 the visuals for windows 7 and vista suck

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Monday, October 19, 2009 6:19 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:54 AM
  • I have tried hacks such as making the keys [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder], [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU], and [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags], ReadOnly.

But such things usually screw something else up.  So now I leave them alone and just try to live with it.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Are you sure folder view is still broken? I only used 7 sporadically since the beta, so maybe that's why I never noticed.

FYI: there's a way to fix folder view in Vista:

The post describes how Win engineers screw up and how to fix.
    This is the only way that I found that actually works. And it was a total relief since folder view was broken in XP already - introduced by MS in 2001, fixed 2007 by a third party. I'm not sure why they didn't realize that this affects every single user on Vista or XP.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Why does Microsoft not put a team of their BEST Engineers on Explorer and rewrite it into something to be proud of?

Or hire a team, or buy a company that's done a good job with an Explorer substitute?

It is not hard to have an application remember where you left it, and how you like things inside it to look.  Computer files remember things perfectly.  It takes special talent to make a system NOT work deterministically.

-Noel
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Well, when you consider DeskSoft wrote an app that they sell for $10USD to manager this (And it does a pretty good job if it), it sort of really shows you just how easy it is to fix the problem. Maybe M$ can buy this app off desksoft and think about how one person can solve what hundreds couldn't? Hehe

footnote: My guess is M$ wont fix this at all in Win7. If it ever gets fixed, it probably wont be until the next version. I wonder if the homegroup and library functions added so much bloat and complexity into explorer that they just could prevent alzhiemers.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:09 AM
  • The trouble is that MS does not see this as a fault or bug....its by design. Windows Explorer for getting work done is a disaster.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:41 PM
  • No smoKing,  I believe you have it absolutely correct - their answer is that it is "by design".  The problem is that it is a horrible design.

I would imagine that, if Microsoft wanted to, they could generate as much buzz with a new (improved and functional) windows explorer, as they do with a new OS.

With all the threads that have addressed this, and all the complaints and reports from experienced and in-experienced users, tech types, and developers, for Microsoft to not acknowledge this problem, and to continue to suggest such nonsense as bagmrusize and other registry hacks, is the very definition of aarogance and lack of listening to customer needs and feedback.  Arguing the pros and cons of a different menu is one thing.  But, what about fixing ALL of the [reported] flaws that exist in explorer (and search)?

But, explorer, for better or worse, is what it is...

Doc

PS: tags and ratings do work, so I guess some are happy.  Unfortunately, tags and ratings do nothing for me.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Not sure but it seems that just a minority of users work with files in Explorer. Most people probably just wanna move a few pics they got emailed, or two office files or whatever. Just have a look, they go apesh*t: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/social/ - or this gotta be be filtered.

If you do most things in the Explorer yourself (sorting your pics, mp3s, dev files etc), it's one terrible excuse.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:04 PM

• http://www.microsoft.com/windows/social/

Hey, I wasn't done yet.   You know I agonize over the perfect wording.    Here, look at this .    This too .

Ok.  Now I'm satisfied.  Go ahead.  Delete it.

post does need to be delete as well as mike-x post.  it is not just an english forum.  it is an english that makes scene forum.  7 is great however there are two major bugs.  view settings being one, and icon spacing being the other.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:41 PM
  • your sardonic humor is not impressing anyone.  you really should delete your own post since it of no help.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:44 PM
  • actually there was not and is not anything sudden about my input.  unlike you i have been contributing to this thread since it was created, also unlike you i have been contributing creatively to this thread.  there are quite a lot of us that feel if you push microsour hard enough they will be forced to address an issue.  now take your asinine attitude and go away.

{snicker}
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:04 AM
  • Actually, it's funny to anyone with a sense of humour. Whilst I take this issue very seriously, It is of great help to see the funny side of things. Me thinks you need to lighten up system_001
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Actually, it's funny to anyone with a sense of humour. Whilst I take this issue very seriously, It is of great help to see the funny side of things. Me thinks you need to lighten up system_001
    what is funny is the fact that you were making light of the fact that most of us take this issue seriously and now you want us to believe that you are the one taking it seriously.  that says very little for your intelligence if you think the rest of us are that stupid.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:09 AM