none
Warning - KB2984972 and App-V 4 and App-V 5 Packages RRS feed

• Question

• The above Security Update went on to all of our W7 PC last night as part of Patch Tuesday and broke a large number of our existing 4.6 Autodesk related packages. AutoCAD itself was not affected but Revit, Navis, DWG TrueView all were. Not got to the bottom of why yet (the explanation for the update does not sound like it would make any difference) but simply removing the update from client PCs fixes the packages which will do me for now. If you have any control over when security updates go on to your PCs I advise on checking it out

• Edited by AndrewKelly Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:16 PM change
    • Changed type Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:09 PM
    • Edited by kirk_tnModerator Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:10 AM Generalizing title to be more general
    • Changed type kirk_tnModerator Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:11 AM Thread describes an issue and includes answers
    • Edited by Brandon RecordsModerator Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:05 PM Further title clarification.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:15 PM

Answers

• I want to make everyone aware that this issue has been identified and a workaround documented in the KB below.  It is a good idea to add this registry key proactively in your environments before installing KB 2984972.

Update for RDC 7.1 to support restricted administration logons on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2984972

Resolution
    To resolve this known issue, configure the TermSrvReadyEvent registry entry on the computer where the Microsoft Application Virtualization Client is installed.

For Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.0
    • Registry Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Subsystem\ObjExclusions
      Value name: 93 (Or any unique value)
      Type: REG_SZ
      Data: TermSrvReadyEvent

Example
      For example, type the following command at an elevated command prompt to add the entry to a system running Application Virtualization 5.0:
      reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Subsystem\ObjExclusions /v 93 /t REG_SZ /d TermSrvReadyEvent
    For Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6
    • For all supported x86-based systems

Registry Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\ObjExclusions
      Value name: 95 (Or any unique value)

Example
      For example, type the following command at an elevated command prompt to add the entry to an x86-based system running Application Virtualization 4.6:
      reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\ObjExclusions /v 95 /t REG_SZ /d TermSrvReadyEvent
    • For all supported x64-based systems

Registry Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\ObjExclusions

Example
      For example, type the following command at an elevated command prompt to add the entry to an x64-based system running Application Virtualization 4.6:
      reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\ObjExclusions /v 95 /t REG_SZ /d TermSrvReadyEvent

Thanks for your patience while we researched this issue,

Mark

Mark Stanfill

Senior   Supportability Program Manager

CSS   C+E MSD Supportability

Mark.Stanfill@Microsoft.com  

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Sorry should have been a bit clearer. It hasn't been much of a day :)

It is purely the packages themselves and not the infrastructure in any way. Setup is standard client - App-V Server all on 4.6 SP3 HF2. I have a nagging doubt regards it possibly relating to the versions of the client but I have not had a chance to consider that yet.

We are currently 50 / 50 Windows 7 and Windows 8. 

All Microsoft "security" updates are installed on all PCs as a matter of course on the evening of Patch Tuesday.

Informed early on today that all Windows 7 Users having problems with Autodesk Apps failing to initialize, hanging at first open. Not all of the Apps but I wouldn't want to say outright which were and weren't working. Windows 8 users working as normal both using same versions of the packages.

I am 99% certain that the above update caused the problem. All testing has been in a production environment, removing all updates, adding one by one, removing, etc.

You remove the update from a PC, all the Autodesk Apps work, our GP forces it back on, PC reboots and apps are broken again.

I have not done anything in a purely test environment. My plan at some point tomorrow is to pick the smallest of the packages - DWG Trueview for example and run a procmon with and without the Security Update installed and go from there.  

I know the contents of the KB don't appear to have any relation to the problem but I can only go by what I have seen. 

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Hello,

Now acknowledged by MS.

They will post more information as it becomes available;

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2984972/en-us

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Sunday, October 19, 2014 7:59 PM

All replies

• Thanks for sharing.

Testing updates becomes more and more important. Last week I found out that after installing KB2966828 the .NET framework is blocked on a Windows 2012 R2 server and now this one.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:39 PM
  • Just did some tests (App-V 4/RDS) but the environment stills works.

Can you tell us a bit more how your environment looks like?

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Hello,

Exactly what does "break" mean?

The KB-article is really limited in information. Usually there is a list of files replaced...

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:08 PM
  • Sorry should have been a bit clearer. It hasn't been much of a day :)

It is purely the packages themselves and not the infrastructure in any way. Setup is standard client - App-V Server all on 4.6 SP3 HF2. I have a nagging doubt regards it possibly relating to the versions of the client but I have not had a chance to consider that yet.

We are currently 50 / 50 Windows 7 and Windows 8. 

All Microsoft "security" updates are installed on all PCs as a matter of course on the evening of Patch Tuesday.

Informed early on today that all Windows 7 Users having problems with Autodesk Apps failing to initialize, hanging at first open. Not all of the Apps but I wouldn't want to say outright which were and weren't working. Windows 8 users working as normal both using same versions of the packages.

I am 99% certain that the above update caused the problem. All testing has been in a production environment, removing all updates, adding one by one, removing, etc.

You remove the update from a PC, all the Autodesk Apps work, our GP forces it back on, PC reboots and apps are broken again.

I have not done anything in a purely test environment. My plan at some point tomorrow is to pick the smallest of the packages - DWG Trueview for example and run a procmon with and without the Security Update installed and go from there.  

I know the contents of the KB don't appear to have any relation to the problem but I can only go by what I have seen. 

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Long shot, but what you could also try is to start your sequencer, expand the DWG Trueview package to you local system, verify that DWG works, install the hotfix...
    If DWG fails you will proberly have some cleanup to do in your package(s).
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:56 PM
  • I think we have a more serious issue here. 

We have another App-V package (Frontrange Solutions HEAT 7.2.2) published via 4.6 (SP3).  Our users are reporting that since KB2984972 (and the reboot), menu items in the app are not longer working.  The app will just freeze.

Uninstalling KB2984972 (wusa /uninstall /kb:2984972 /quiet /norestart), then doing a restart restores functionality.

I'll see if I can open a case.

• Edited by nzdude Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:40 AM corrected KB ID
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:11 PM
  • I can confirm that our virtualized versions of Trillian Astra, FileMakerPro 12 and SnagIt v11 are all affected similarly.  The apps will load to 100% but will seize up shortly thereafter.  We use AppV 4.6.3.24870.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:22 PM
  • We run ININ's Interaction Client in the 4.6 SP3 environment and we're experiencing the same issues.

All other application that have been sandboxed work fine still.

I'm going to recreate the package including the latest updates to see if that resolves our issues.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:34 PM
  • I have opened a case with Microsoft and will update here when I find out more.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:44 AM
  • I have also discovered an issue - we run Server 2008R2 with Remote Desktop Services, and connect with dual-screen WYSE thin clients.

The screens usually show as separate 1920x1080 screens, but since this update, the they display a single screen at 3840x1080.

Removing just that update has solved for now.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:40 AM
  • ProwlingLynx, would you be willing to work with Microsoft Support to troubleshoot this? 

You can log a free support case for issues introduced with Security Updates (at least in the US), but will need to provide MS with a credit card number when you call to kick off the process.  Mention that there is another issue with this same update, logged under Case ID: 114101611907865.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:46 AM
  • It looks like that KB is an update to RDP 7.1, but it's possible to update Windows 7 to use RDP 8.0 or 8.1.

This could mean that if you have updated to RDP 8+ you will not experience the problem. On the other hand there could be a sister patch out there for that also breaks things for 8+!

Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Same here, using APPV Client all virtualized software while exporting in Excel hangs with patch KB2984972.

Some other won't start at all. Even if sequencing again new package on an up2date sequence will not solve the problem, just removing from WSUS this patch.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:22 AM
  • Same problem here as well. Tested with FILE and RTSPS. Uninstalling KB2984972 resolves the problem.

Environment: Server 2008R2 with XenApp 6.5 HRP4 and App-V Client for RDS 4.6 SP2/SP3.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:42 AM
  • Thanks for pinning this down. It has occurred for us for various applications. Uninstalling the update works.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:32 AM
  • Definitely the Security Update. App-V client version does not make any difference. Tested on 4.6 SP3 and 4.6 SP3 HF2. We have decided not to re-sequence for now, removed the Update and are looking at alternatives.

From our point of view it would certainly be easier to go to RDP 8 assuming that tests ok than re-sequence - thanks Dan.

Not sure how much it will help anyone but from comparing the procmons on the client without the Update and the client that has the Update I get a lot of entries that relate to video / Direct3D / Avalon.graphics all Succeeding but nothing on the one that doesn't. No obvious errors to me either.

It certainly looks like something in the security update is impacting certain packages especially where DirectX is involved.

Does seem similar to a lot of other people's issues.

• Edited by AndrewKelly Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:50 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:46 AM
  • I had this exact issue as well using Server 2008 R2 and Wyse thin clients (C10LE). After uninstalling the update and restarting the server, the desktop no longer spanned and both monitors were detected.

• Edited by Jerez2014 Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:00 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:58 AM
  • We have the same Problem here.

Uninstall the patch solved it.

But you could also update the Wyse Clients to the newest Firmware 8.0.210.

That solved the Problem too.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:06 PM
  • After installing this patch we expirence some problems with the application Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Manager v2.2

We run this application in an AppV 4.6 using SCCM 2012 R2 environment. Starting the application works fine, but when I try to connect a server (Windows Server 2008 R2 or Server 2012) the application freezes.

After uninstalling the patch and reboot the system, the application works fine.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:10 PM
  • I have same problem with MS Remote Desktop Connection Manager, HP Openview Servicedesk and other packages, which using .NET4.5 and Oracle connections, C++. Application start with NO GUI and freezes.

After uninstalling KB2984972 and reboot the system, the applications work fine.

App-V 4.6.325111

Windows 7SP1

• Edited by zakz Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:08 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Anyone experiencing issues with App-V 5? or is it unaffected?
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:09 PM
  • App-V5 SP2HF5 v5.0.3404.0

same problem with  MS Remote Desktop Connection Manager, HP Openview Servicedesk.

After uninstalling KB2984972 and reboot the system, the applications work fine.

• Edited by zakz Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:21 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Hello! 
    kb2984972 caused problems in our environment. 

Do not run App-V application (Chrome, Firefox) after installing kb2984972 

Environment: App-V 5 sp2 hf5 + Windows 7

After uninstalling kb2984972 and reboot the system, the applications run fine!

• Proposed as answer by Onix32 Friday, October 17, 2014 3:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Onix32 Friday, October 17, 2014 3:56 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:18 PM
  • App-V 4.6 (SP3) here.
    Some packages weren't running anymore, or started but weren't visible.

Also the remote Tools from SCCM 2007 were sometimes not able to connect to Clients after this patch.

I've set it to "removal" in WSUS and afterwards everything worked again.
    Thank god we have a testgroup for this monthly patches.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Spent a good amount of time trying to work around this and it boiled down to just removing, blocking and starting a ticket with MS.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Case# 0118 999 881 999 119 725...3

Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:47 PM
  • P4PPY,

Are you blocking with WSUS?  I, too, have a ticket in with MS.  I'd like to use group policy to perform the blockage as we don't use WSUS but I don't have a good understanding of how to accomplish that.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:26 PM
  • We're blocking with WSUS now.

How many machines are you dealing with?

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:28 PM
  • Microsoft's suggestion is to move from the 7.1 RDP client to version 8 and test with that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592687/en-us

Prereq: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2574819

I believe that was suggested earlier in this thread.

RDP 8.1 update for Win7 is available as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2923545

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:55 PM
  • 600 or so.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:12 PM
  • This was mentioned to me on the phone with MS as well but I'm not going down this path just yet.  I would like to know if KB2923545 causes the same issue as KB2984972.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:16 PM
  • This isn't a question, but a heads up, the Windows 7 patch KB2984972 is causing issues with virtualized Google Chrome and from what I've read around the web a few other app-v applications.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:37 PM
  • Hi,

May I know the details of your deployment? Does it involve any Remote Desktop Services (aka App-V on Remote Desktop Services) or just a standard App-V server with multiple App-V clients? We are trying to repro this in our lab.

Also when you mentioned uninstalling KB2984972 resolved the issue, is it just uninstalling from the client machine?

Thanks!

Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:38 PM
  • Yes, see this topic 
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:53 PM
  • In our case, 114101611907865, we've given the engineer a procmon trace on an App-V app running on systems with and without the patch.  We were initially told that unless a Microsoft app was affected, then it was difficult for Microsoft to troubleshoot.  We now see Microsoft Excel and Remote Desktop Connection Manager affected when running in App-V.

If you "Bing" KB2984972 by itself, this page you're reading now has a higher ranking than the patch itself.  The third most popular hit is another issue where it kills remote desktop.

There's clearly an issue here and I urge Microsoft to pull this patch NOW to limit the damage.

@RDS-se1 - for us, it's just a standard App-V server with Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit) App-V 4.6 SP3 clients.

• Edited by nzdude Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:20 PM More info
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:11 PM
  • Same here, using APPV Client all virtualized software while exporting in Excel hangs with patch KB2984972.

Some other won't start at all. Even if sequencing again new package on an up2date sequence will not solve the problem, just removing from WSUS this patch.

Can you please provide quick reproduction steps within Excel (which version?).  If I can demonstrate that a Microsoft app is hanging, then this will help my case that this isn't a third-party issue.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:57 PM
  • This has affected us too.  Easy to repo, just use AppV (4.6) to sequence an RDP remoteapp shortcut, before KB2987492 they worked good as, now they crash at the "Connecting to FQDN....".  Uninstalling the KB on the client fixes immediately.

We have a standard AppV sever without SCCM integration, with many clients.  All my remoteapp shortcut no longer work, plus some other graphic apps.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:28 PM
  • We are a standard App-V server with multiple App-V clients setup.  Uninstalling KB2984972 corrects the issue.  We have scripted out the wusa /uninstall /kb:2984972 /quiet /norestart command line removal (thanks nzdude) and deployed it to the users who have called our helpdesk.  After they reboot, their App-V applications work again.  Until Microsoft informs us (we have a ticket in) on the solution, we have disabled the Windows Update service in our environment.  We don't use WSUS so it's a tad drastic but it ensures that we won't get the patch downloaded and installed again on our client machines.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:22 PM
  • Hello, 

Thanks for the heads up on this!

This patch was installed in our test environment on tuesday and I can confirm that several packages stopped working. Our environment is App-V 4.6 on 2008 R2 servers. 

Among the packages that are now not working, is all of the Adobe CS5-products. I mention it since no one has and since it is a well known product.

Friday, October 17, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Also thanks for the heads up, we have pulled that patch until we can test it further, probably off topic but we are also having other issues currently using SCCM2012, during the task sequence>Install Software Updates step there is a double reboot we have removed all patches from this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2894518 , so it looks like a patch from this month, it does not fail every time its a bit intermittent.

Going over the CAS.log there seems reference to KB2984976 around the second reboot where it losses its connection to SCCM. Not 100% sure yet need to do more testing.

Friday, October 17, 2014 6:37 AM
  • A lot of our AppV packages didn't work anymore. We have revoked and uninstalled the update automatically on all our servers using WSUS. After the uninstallation all packages are working again.
    Friday, October 17, 2014 6:43 AM
  • We have the samen issue. Please fix MS!
    Friday, October 17, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Same issue here, AppV Client 4.6.3.2480 and Server 2008 R2.

So far we reported problems with AppV packages RDCMan, vSphereClient and SnagIt.

Friday, October 17, 2014 7:40 AM
  • same thing here. App-V 4.6.1, software VMware Horizon view client, unable to connect.

Uninstall KB, work immediately

Friday, October 17, 2014 8:40 AM
  • Same thing, after KB2984972 App-V client 4.6 sp3 crashes with some packages, after uninstall and a restart no more problem. Microsoft should retract this KB as soon as possible. This is totally unacceptable. Plus they did not name this KB in their security bulletin.

Kind Regards, Bert Valkenburg MCITP : Enterprise Administrator

• Edited by BValkenburg Friday, October 17, 2014 10:49 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 10:48 AM
  • same here, several Appv 4 apps locks up(don't start) on starting them on W2008R2 XenApp server.

As a test, i installed ONLY update KB2984972 on a working system with appv packages.
    After the install, appv apps failed.

After uninstalling KB2984972 it works again.

Friday, October 17, 2014 10:57 AM
  • Hello

I was able to Fix the Issue with Firefox by changing the Local_Interaction to TRUE in the OSD file of the package. But other package like Keepass didn't fix it.

<POLICIES>
        <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>True</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
       </POLICIES>

Friday, October 17, 2014 3:59 PM
  • I'm glad we excluded this hotfix after reading this topic yesterday.
    I've installed the patch manually on 1 of our test W2008R2 Xenapp servers, and after starting 10 random packages, 3 did not start (Chrome, Delphi, Davilex -> launching 100%) which did start before. App-V 4.6 SP3hf1x64 and App-V5SP2x64 (migrationmode). Even the App-V5 Console which we virtualised with App-V5 did not start.

After uninstalling KB2984972 and a reboot it works again.

Has anyone have a respons from Microsoft yet?

Friday, October 17, 2014 4:16 PM
  • I've just confirmed that the App-V 5 Client UI package is one of the apps broken. Oh dear, that's rather ironic.

Friday, October 17, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Hello,

Now acknowledged by MS.

They will post more information as it becomes available;

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2984972/en-us

Sunday, October 19, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Also thanks for the heads up, we have pulled that patch until we can test it further, probably off topic but we are also having other issues currently using SCCM2012, during the task sequence>Install Software Updates step there is a double reboot we have removed all patches from this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2894518 , so it looks like a patch from this month, it does not fail every time its a bit intermittent.

Going over the CAS.log there seems reference to KB2984976 around the second reboot where it losses its connection to SCCM. Not 100% sure yet need to do more testing.

@Josti - we found the same with patch KB2984976.  Please provide feedback to KB2894518 to get them to update the article, as I have done.
    Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:25 PM
  • @nxdude, I have provided feedback to article KB2894518.

Cheers

• Edited by josti Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:44 PM
    Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:44 PM
  • I can also confirm that after uninstalling KB2984972 and rebooting the problem disappeared.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:50 AM
  • The German App-V Blog just posted the following workaround, cChange the following registry key(s):

App-V 4 x86:
    Value name: 95 (Or the next free number)

App-V 4 x64
    Registry Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\ObjExclusions
    Value name: 95 (Or the next free number)

App-V 5
    For Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.0:
    Registry Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Subsystem\ObjExclusions
    Value name: 93 (Or the next free number)

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:20 PM
  • In a corporate scenario, how do we know what the next free number is on any specific system?  What defines a "free" number, anyway?   I'll hold off deploying the patch still.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:54 PM
  • The KB article 2984972 has been updated with the workaround as well: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2984972

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:16 AM
  • I want to make everyone aware that this issue has been identified and a workaround documented in the KB below.  It is a good idea to add this registry key proactively in your environments before installing KB 2984972.

Update for RDC 7.1 to support restricted administration logons on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2984972

Resolution
    To resolve this known issue, configure the TermSrvReadyEvent registry entry on the computer where the Microsoft Application Virtualization Client is installed.

For Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.0
    • Registry Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Subsystem\ObjExclusions
      Value name: 93 (Or any unique value)

Example
      For example, type the following command at an elevated command prompt to add the entry to a system running Application Virtualization 5.0:
      reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Subsystem\ObjExclusions /v 93 /t REG_SZ /d TermSrvReadyEvent
    For Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6
    • For all supported x86-based systems

Example
      For example, type the following command at an elevated command prompt to add the entry to an x86-based system running Application Virtualization 4.6:
      reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\ObjExclusions /v 95 /t REG_SZ /d TermSrvReadyEvent
    • For all supported x64-based systems

Example
      For example, type the following command at an elevated command prompt to add the entry to an x64-based system running Application Virtualization 4.6:
      reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\ObjExclusions /v 95 /t REG_SZ /d TermSrvReadyEvent

Thanks for your patience while we researched this issue,

Mark

Mark Stanfill

Senior   Supportability Program Manager

CSS   C+E MSD Supportability

Mark.Stanfill@Microsoft.com  

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:41 PM
  • We haven't installed this patch in our environment, think I might wait until a revised patch is issued.
    Friday, October 24, 2014 2:36 AM
  • KB2987972 when installed breaks our Office 2010 excel Appv package. When attempting to launch excel the splash screen will appear, and then hang on 'processing'. The application will never move past that point, and must be terminated in the task manager.

Uninstalling KB2987972 allows excel to launch properly when the icon is clicked.

I have AppV 4.6 SP3 on Windows 7 and Office 2010 Pro.

me

Friday, October 24, 2014 7:25 PM
  • Hello,

I can't find any information about the KB-article. Are you sure that this is the correct number?

Friday, October 24, 2014 9:16 PM
  • Josti - there's no plan for a revision.  We're encouraging customers to set this proactively.  If you push out the registry keys before installing the Windows patch, you won't encounter any problems.
    Friday, October 24, 2014 10:28 PM
  • FYI I can confirm that the Microsoft packages AppV 5 Client UI, and Office 2013 (created with ODT) are affected. I have two fresh installed VM's, on the first machine all AppV5 packages are broken after installing KB2984972, while AppV4 apps start as it should. No problems reported on the second VM (same staging process).
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:41 AM
  • Josti - there's no plan for a revision.  We're encouraging customers to set this proactively.  If you push out the registry keys before installing the Windows patch, you won't encounter any problems.

If you're not revising KB2984972, can you please at least include the registry key in the next hotfixes for App-V 4.6 and 5.0?
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:34 PM
  • Absolutely.  We are planning to address this in the next update cycle.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:51 PM
  • CSI Windows have reported that this patch can also cause issues with printing, no word from them on whether the published workaround also fixes this issue:

http://www.csi-windows.com/blog/all/73-windows-64-bit/436-kb2984972-may-cause-problems-with-32-bit-app-v-46-applications-using-splwow64exe-to-print

In all likelihood it's the same issue with the same fix, but worth noting anyhow.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:35 PM
  • Mark, could you please advise the KB for the fix? It doesn't seem to be part of November month patches.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:14 PM
  • There is no patch.  You need to add a registry key.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:16 PM