none
Adding Shared Printers based on Computer Location in group policy.

Question

• I understand that you can not add a shared printer using a computer based Group Policy because as I understand it, only users can Map a printer, but is there a work around that can be used?

My situation is this.  I am doing tech support for a retirement community.  They have 5 resident care wings and each wing has a nurses station which has 1 printer connected to a computer which is then shared to the other 5 computers at the station.  A lot of the Nurses do not work only 1 Wing and move from wing to wing frequently.  Every time one of them logs on to a computer that they might not have used previously to print, I get a call and I need to add that printer for them.  The 2 obvious solutions would be to, 1. Network the printers or 2. Use a GPO and GP to map all 5 printers to all nurses.  1. will not happen cause of the cost of running a connection to the printer and 2. is problematic cause a lot of the nurses wouldn't know how to switch from the default printer to the one they want to print to.

Is there some sort of work around that can be used to make sure that shared printers are added by the location of the computer being logged into?

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 2:26 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately this article only helps me if they are networked.  These are shared from the computer they are connected to Via USB.

I did however find the workaround on my own.  It's called Loopback Processing.  It is a most useful Group Policy in area's with shared computers, like a Lap, Classroom, or Library.  Basically if you have a bunch of computers that could have any number of different types of users you would put them in their own OU, and then link a GPO to that OU with USER policies instead of COMPUTER.  And then you Enable the Loopback processing feature and Group Policy will then MERGE or REPLACE the user GP of anyone logging on to these computers.  This has the benefit of allowing me to Map Shared Printers to ANY user who logs on to the computers in that OU.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hope this article may you.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc731292.aspx

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:38 AM
  • Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately this article only helps me if they are networked.  These are shared from the computer they are connected to Via USB.

I did however find the workaround on my own.  It's called Loopback Processing.  It is a most useful Group Policy in area's with shared computers, like a Lap, Classroom, or Library.  Basically if you have a bunch of computers that could have any number of different types of users you would put them in their own OU, and then link a GPO to that OU with USER policies instead of COMPUTER.  And then you Enable the Loopback processing feature and Group Policy will then MERGE or REPLACE the user GP of anyone logging on to these computers.  This has the benefit of allowing me to Map Shared Printers to ANY user who logs on to the computers in that OU.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:13 PM