Cannot log into domain from Windows 10 - Says its wrong username or password (it isn't) RRS feed

• Question

• A newly installed Windows 10. Join domain OK. Restart. Cannot log in with any account to domain from this computer. Every try with every account gets an immediate "Wrong username or password". If I log in locally, I can authenticate to domain controller etc, with same user credentials that is "wrong" at the login screen. I've checked language input, caps lock, both wire and wireless; test accounts etcetera. Need help fast. :-(

ETA: Also taken the computer out of and into domain again, restarted many times, reset computer account, etcetera. No difference.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Can you try these steps as it worked for me some time back 

1. On the logon screen I clicked on "Other user"
    2. I clicked on "Sign-in options" and "Microsoft account".
    3. I typed in the same Microsoft account e-mail address and the same password.
    4. It now allowed me to log on without any problems.
    5. After rebooting I was able to log in just by typing my password as usual.

Thanks

Kailas

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Vote or Mark as Answer

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. There seems to be no "Sign-in options". Note that this computer is a member of the domain, and that the users have no Microsoft accounts.

I've taken the computer out of the domain, renamed in, took into the domain again, but no difference.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:48 AM
  • Make sure the following is good..

1. You have mentioned the DNS IP Properly(Usually your Domain IP)

2. Make sure you can able to ping to DC

3. Make sure windows firewall turned off (Rare cases)

4. Finally Make sure to login using username@domain.Name

If above 4 steps is fine then that will work for sure..

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:56 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. But logged in as a local user, I am able to authenticate against the domain and everything works domain-wise and otherwise. It only at the login screen that the instant after I click OK when logging in with a domain account I get the "wrong user name or password" message.

DNS, network, everything works. That is not the issues as far as I can see, since he computer works very well in all regards when logged in as a local user.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. But logged in as a local user, I am able to authenticate against the domain and everything works domain-wise and otherwise. It only at the login screen that the instant after I click OK when logging in with a domain account I get the "wrong user name or password" message.

DNS, network, everything works. That is not the issues as far as I can see, since he computer works very well in all regards when logged in as a local user.

Can you Able to \\your AD and authenticate from the same PC if so. try to login using username@domain.name (For Example your user name is asd and your domain is xyz.com you can try like this asd@xyz.com or xyz.com\asd)
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 11:58 AM
  • Yes I can do \\ to the DC and authenticate, logged on locally. I've tried to log in with UPN, as name@domain.com. Thank you. Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:09 PM
  • Yes I can do \\ to the DC and authenticate, logged on locally. I've tried to log in with UPN, as name@domain.com. Thank you. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Finally Make sure your windows machine have latest Updates.. Update and Remove from domain and rename computer name and Re-Join to domain.

Try Running RSOP Modeling wizard from group policy on server to make sure the policy's and all working fine.

Make sure the DNS is configured correctly.. Also it would be better if you Add DNS Suffix in Advanced DNS configuration.

Try NSLookup from the same PC after configuring DNS

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 11:41 AM
  • OK, thanks. - Any other takers?
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:33 PM
  • Hi Jazz,

Did these domain account work fine on other computer?

If yes, the cause should be this one computer. Please remove it from the Domain and join it again to see if any differences.

Please check if you have the correct DNS Server pointing to the domain.

Run ipconfig /registerdns and restart netlogon on Domain you have. Better if you restart the DC.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:53 AM
  • Try these two options

Run Ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns in elevated command prompt. Reboot & try again.

If the above doesn't work remove from domain. Delete computer account in Domain Server if present. Rename the computer and join again.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, Karen.

>>>Did these domain account work fine on other computer?

Yes. I've tried several accounts on this computer. They all work fine on other computers. Also, they work fine when logged in to this particular computer with a local account. (For instance, I can access shares on the domain controller with said domain accounts. I just cannot login on this computer with them.)

>>>If yes, the cause should be this one computer. Please remove it from the Domain and join it again to see if any differences.

I've done that. There's no difference. I also reset the computer account. Also, I've taken the computer out of the domain, renamed it, joined the domain again -- but no difference. Note that the computer at the login screen has identified the network's domain (i.e. get its IP config alright during startup).

>>>Please check if you have the correct DNS Server pointing to the domain.

>>>Run ipconfig /registerdns and restart netlogon on Domain you have. Better if you restart the DC.

If I log in to this computer with a local account, I can to anything in the domain I wish (if authenticate as a domain user, of course), so there are no DNS issues.

Thanks for taking time.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:27 AM
  • Run a Windows 10 Repair Install.
    Go to the Media Creation Link
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Click on Upgrade to Windows 10 (even if Windows 10 is running), click on the Download button, select Open (Run) but NOT Save. Allow the program to run. Allow drivers to update. Then select Keep Everything. You can also Keep Data, or Keep Nothing. Keep Nothing is very close to a clean install.
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:35 AM
  • The "wrong user name or password" response comes so quickly I don't think it is sent to the domain controller. It is as fast as it is when you type wrong user name or password for a local account; I don't get the slight delay you usually get when typing wrong user name or password for a domain account.

But note, at the same time, at the logon screen, if I click the "network icon" in the lower left corner, it identifies the network as "company.com", so obviously it get the correct IP config. And I need to emphasise: When I log into the computer with a local account, I can access any domain resource and the domain credentials work, etc.

(Also note that the machine is a member of the domain; it has an account etc.)

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:46 AM
  • Asif Hasnain, thank you for your time, but why would I want to do that?
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 11:05 AM
  • The "wrong user name or password" response comes so quickly I don't think it is sent to the domain controller. It is as fast as it is when you type wrong user name or password for a local account; I don't get the slight delay you usually get when typing wrong user name or password for a domain account.

But note, at the same time, at the logon screen, if I click the "network icon" in the lower left corner, it identifies the network as "company.com", so obviously it get the correct IP config. And I need to emphasise: When I log into the computer with a local account, I can access any domain resource and the domain credentials work, etc.

(Also note that the machine is a member of the domain; it has an account etc.)

Have you tried logging in using Domain Administrator account on the same PC?

after failed login attempts if you go to event viewer you will get some Error ID's if you analyze that you will get an answer for the same.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Yes, I've tried using a domain administrator account. It doesn't matter which account I use.

I didn't see any particular errors in Event Log, but I didn't monitor failed logon attempts either. (I do not have access to this computer until Monday.)

It actually seems that the computer does not redirect the login attempt to the domain controller (as mentioned above), even though it is a member of the domain and I explicitly login to COMPANY\User or user@company.com. It is very weird.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:26 PM
  • >>>Please check if you have the correct DNS Server pointing to the domain.

>>>Run ipconfig /registerdns and restart netlogon on Domain you have. Better if you restart the DC.

If I log in to this computer with a local account, I can to anything in the domain I wish (if authenticate as a domain user, of course), so there are no DNS issues.

Hi Jazz,

Anyway, I suggest you run refresh your DNS on the Domain side and this client side.

Meanwhile, turn off the Firewall on this client and disable the antivirus of this client to check the result.

Please refer to this similar thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b7fc350d-5048-4eab-835e-e2b3cace8c17/windows-10-pro-unable-to-logon-to-domain-1607?forum=win10itprosetup

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 10, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestions, Karen. Unfortunately it did not help. I don't think it is a network issue, the "wrong user name or password" is instantaneous, the computer doesn't look for anything on the network when logging into the domain, or trying to.

Thank you very much for the link to the similar thread. From the beginning I had the feeling that this computer is a member of the domain - but not really; that the upgrade from Home had something to do with it. It feels like a bug rather than something I or the computer does wrong.

I believe you can close this thread, I'll jump over to the other.

Monday, October 10, 2016 12:57 PM
  • There is a known issue where domain logons from domain joined RS1 Pro computers upgraded from home edition fail with the on-screen error "the user name or password is incorrect" after entering a valid password.

Is that a match for your computer? Can the same account logon from Win10 computers that installed Win10 Pro directly?

If so, a fix is said to be coming later this month.
    Microsoft support is aware of a workaround where you edit the registry as a workaround until then.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:59 PM
  • The fix is in KB3197954 which released today.
    Friday, October 28, 2016 7:18 PM