What might cause an stsadm command to get into a loop? RRS feed

• Question

• Platform: MOSS SP 2007 32 bit, service pack 3

Our farm is 1 VM for SharePoint, 1 H/W server for SQL.

We have a scheduled task that runs each night that starts a vbs script. The script gathers the names of all the site collections, and loops through them performing stsadm -o backup .

This job has executed for 2 years without major issue.

During research of some events from the weekend, I discovered that ONE of the backup commands that ran Tuesday at 9:08pm - successfully - had immediately afterwards began trying to start again. It did so every few seconds continuously through the next 6 days. I found the STSADM commands and cscripts still running this morning and killed them.

Has anyone else ever seen a scheduled task that ran a vbs script to invoke STSADM get into a weird loop and try to start the same command over and over again?

Thanks!

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Just was given a couple interesting facts.

1. The stsadm backup command that kept repeating happened to begin immediately after the 12hive logs show that it completed successfully.

2. During the time this began, a hardware error was occurring to the NAS system behind the location for our backup files. That hardware suffered a hard failure moments after the repeating began.

The timing here seems much too convenient to be coincidental.

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:45 PM
  • I haven't heard of stsadm repeating a completed operation. Has the hardware errror with the NAS been fixed? Have you run the backup command since it has been fixed?

My thought is the hardware error caused the system to be unstable, rather than stsadm breaking the NAS.

• Marked as answer by lwvirden Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:52 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 2:36 PM
  • They have repaired the hardware now. I agree this sounds like it is somehow related to that event. That's how i wrote up the ticket. I just found it really weird that for 5 days the system would keep starting that particular command over and over again.

Once I killed the cscripts and stsadm that kept starting over and over, things stablized. Last night, the backups all appear to have executed successfully with no looping.

Just another thing that I need to watch for, I guess.

• Edited by lwvirden Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:48 AM answer additional question asked
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:40 AM