none
No unlock options provided by Bitlocker setup, after Fall Creators Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently installed (clean install)  Windows 10 with the new Fall Creators Update.

My PC has two drives: one for the OS and some other programs and a second one (fixed) for storage purposes. When I tried to enable Bitlocker encryption on my default drive (with the OS in it), the new (I presume) Bitlocker setup did NOT prompt me to choose an unlock method, like it used to do in previous versions. Instead, it went straight on the step to choose where to save the recovery key.

I should mention that during the whole process, it NEVER asks for an unlock method. Also, for my secondary (fixed) drive, when I try to enable Bitlocker encryption, the only two unlock options it provides are a password and a smart key card. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Charis Ch Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:35 AM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:32 AM

All replies

• That's the default behavior on tpm-enabled systems and normal.

If you would like to setup a PIN to go with your TPM, change the unlock method after encrypting and add that PIN.

Passwords should not be used since those are weak (unless you choose 20+ characters).

The options for the fixed data drives as well as removable drives are different, because those drive types cannot use the TPM.

--

You could also use an elevated command line to set it up the way you want right from the start as in for example:

manage-bde -on c: -rp -tp -em xts_aes256 -used -s

Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:45 AM