Mailbox Retrieval - Exc 2007 sbs 2008 issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I was in the middle of migrating from Exchange 2007 on SBS 2008 to Exchange 2013 on server 2012 when the object server encountered numerous problems and crashed and wasn't recoverable when installing exchange 2013. I had to re-install everything again on new server. Problem was .. for reasons I cannot go into.. The domain name had to be changed AND the customer decided to no longer go with Exchange 2013 and is now opting for the cloud using office 365 in couple weeks. My problem is now I cant get the mailboxes off the old server containing exchange 2007 because the fsmo have been transferred during replication and there now seems to be no organization container for exchange on the old server... the exchange management tools give an error about not being able to either contact the old server... when trying to run it either on the SBS 2008 Exchange 2007 server OR on a 32 bit machine on the same domain set up also with an attempt to get the mailboxes off the old server... Is there any solution.. or is this hopeless.  I backed up the old server completely before this migration so it has everything on it the way it once was... Do I have to just reformat and try to reload everything back on from the tape backup???

The organization container is gone. When in Exchange Management Console I get: group "3d604..." was not found. Please make sure you have type it correcting. it was running command 'getexchangeadministrator" under organization configuration.

If I try Add Exchange Administrator using wizard to give Exchange Organization Admin Role and chose a user who has all privileges i get error the orgadmin security group does not exist or cannot be found. the user or group ...local/my business/users/sbsusers/  ___' cannot be added or removed.

Under Server Configuration - Mailbox it says your organization has no server the with server mailbox role installed

I also get errors about not finding the organization unit for exchange and there is nothing for exchange in adsiedit.  

I assume this all has to do with the fact i was doing the steps for replication.. until everything went downhill... How can i get the mailbox and public folder data off this old server.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I dont know if I understand and other answers can be better, but if you have full backup, you can restore it and export to pst.

“Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answered” - Thiago Mendes da Silva - MCSE Communication - http://www.ucsteps.com/

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:00 AM
  • Hi,

This issue is caused by FSMO role not work correctly after transfer to new DC and it's down, however we can Ntdsutil to seize FSMO role to old DC. Here's an article about it, for your reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/255504

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:30 AM