locked
Autorun functionality completely lost after IE8 installation RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • Hi folks!

    I encounter a serious problem with my autorun functionality after IE8 installation. Maybe it has nothing to do with each other, but I can't figure out what else it could be.

    The issue I am faced with is the following:
    Autorun does not work, i.e. the insertion of DVD/CD media does not result in the typical dialog being opened, nor there are any drive icons I set manually (by adding autorun.inf+appropriate icon). The system drive doesn't show the built-in special icon either. I didn't create an autorun.inf on that drive.

    I use Windows Vista x64.

    What I did so far:
    [1] Checked whether autorun is enabled in control panel
    [2] Checked various registry settings
      (*) HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer - NoDrive(Type)Autorun
      Deleted previos value of 0x00 -> reboot -> tried default values (0x91 for the Type/0x00)
      (*) the same under HKCU
      (*) HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdrom - AutoRun (though it's related to all drives)
      (*) HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping
      (*) looked up for anything similar under Wow6432Node
    [3] Checked for any filters. There's nothing but PartMgr
    [4] Verified that Shell Hardware Detection service is running and set to automatically start
    [5] cleared IconCache
    [6] rebooted after almost each step
    [7] Checked whether any CD/DVD/autorun-related software is running (everything went fine before)

    Is this a known issue that is going to be fixed? Is there anything else I can do?

    If any information about my system is needed please ask me for it.

    Thanks in advance
    Andy

    PS: Maybe this shall be crossposted with IE forum
    Monday, March 23, 2009 5:06 PM

All replies

  • To confirm that the above mentioned issue is related to IE8 installation I  used System Restore to reset everything back before IE8 installation and all the icons re-appeared. Autorun functionality is also back again.
    For now, IE8 will stay far from my system until this issue is resolved.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:08 AM
  •  

    Hi xasx, thank you for your feedback on this issue. I have tested this on my Windows Vista computer and the autorun function is working fine after installing IE8. We will report this to our develop team and try to repro it. Thank you for your time.


    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:39 AM
    Moderator
  • I was able to reproduce this on a clean Vista installation. I don't understand it.
    Even the selection of the corresponding conext menu entry of a drive does not result in anything being opened.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 9:39 AM
  • The issue seemes to be related with third-party software VistaGlazz, restoring the system files and re-applying the patch did the trick for now.
    Besides that, my Windows Update descriptions are now showing up in English although they used to be German like the rest of the system... :(
    Friday, May 1, 2009 10:11 AM