Vista using external drive (USB) as "temp"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is not new to Vista as I had the problem on XP, but it still exists on Vista.

I have a 500GB external HDD (USB).

This is obviously used for backup purpose only and not for caching or anything like that.

But Vista insists on using that drive when installing applications.

It always explodes files to g:\{guid}. G being my external HDD.

This is obviously anoying as I have a 10K primary drive and a RAID volume for my most used data.

Is there a way to instruct Vista to NOT use the external HDD as a temporary place?

My interpretation of the problem is that Vista will explode files to the drive having the most available space (my USB drive in my case).

Any pointers welcome (and if not, a setting somewhere in Vista would be welcome!)

Regards,

Eric.

Monday, May 5, 2008 2:19 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Eric, this issue can be related to temp folder settings. Please use the following method to check the temp folder location.

1.       Press Win+R to launch Run command.

2.       Type %temp% and press Enter.

3.       Please let me know the temp folder full path.

Friday, May 9, 2008 3:18 AM
  • Sean,

Thanks for your advice, but the temp variable is set properly to 'C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp'.

Do you know how the MSI files determine where to uncompress themselves?

Regards,

Eric.

Friday, May 9, 2008 4:34 AM
  •  

Hi Eric, please let me know the name of the GUID and follow the steps in the KB article to enable Windows Installer logging:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314852/

You can send the log file to me at v-seazhu@microsoft.com and I will check it for you.

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Sean,

I tried to enable logging both ways on Vista (64 bits), but never got a new MSI*.log file in the %temp% folder.

The latest app I tried to install, the SQL Server Express Adavanced Services with SP2 (from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/express/bb410792.aspx) definitely exhibits the behavior.

It is not an MSI though, it's an EXE. I have the feeling it does use Windows Installer though too.

Let me know if/how I can turn on some kind of verbose mode for this install so I can send you the logs.

Regards,

Eric.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:13 PM