xp home reinstall problem. RRS feed

• Question

• For sp2/sp3.

Anyone know if there is a way around the xp security that keeps xp from being reinstalled on my computer with a new hard drive? or do i just need to put the hardware to how it was originally configured? I added a new hard drive and switched around the internal wiring for sata and pata maybe 5 years ago. now i am trying to reinstall the os with the original disk and errors keep coming up. the computer is a dell dimension 8400.

originally when i attempted to install the original xp home, then a pirated xp pro, multiple errors occured. i was thinking the problem was caused either by updated hardware, or the hd formatted to ntfs. after messing around with the h-d formats and hardware setups, i finally got the system running using its original setup. id have rather been able to reinstall quickly, but i guess microsoft put pirating security on all its software. maybe next time ill make a hard drive image to restore to. this was a stupid waste of half the day, where i restarted the install a dozen times and waited for the files to load.

it would be nice if i could upload pics, but textll only probably do.

errors on original os reinstall: E:\i386\asms\1000\msft\windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man

errors on pirated reinstall:

sxs.dll: syntax error in manifest or policy file:
     E:\i386\asms\6000\msft\vcrtl\vcrtl.man on line 11
    installation failed: E:\i386asma. error message: a component's file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest.
    Fatal error: one of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
    A component's file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest.
    Error: sxs.dll: syntax error in manifest or policy file: E:\i386\asms\10100\msft\windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man on line 4
    and E:\i386\asms. error message:...

I looked around the net and was not able to find much helpful info. Some places say the disc could be scratched. or the ram has failed. both on my side are fine.

• Edited by trogfield Monday, July 22, 2013 5:33 AM tabs
    Monday, July 22, 2013 5:33 AM

Answers

• Can be an issue with the ODD. Can you replace the CD ROM and check?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:08 AM
  • Where did you obtain your reinstall disk?  The error " does not match the verification information " is usually caused buy trying to use an OEM disk to install on a different hardware platform.  The brand name OEM disks are usually BIOS locked and will only install on the same brand hardware.  In other words, you cannot use an HP OEM disk to install on a Dell computer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, July 22, 2013 10:44 AM

All replies

• Can be an issue with the ODD. Can you replace the CD ROM and check?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:08 AM
  • Where did you obtain your reinstall disk?  The error " does not match the verification information " is usually caused buy trying to use an OEM disk to install on a different hardware platform.  The brand name OEM disks are usually BIOS locked and will only install on the same brand hardware.  In other words, you cannot use an HP OEM disk to install on a Dell computer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, July 22, 2013 10:44 AM