WSUS centralize management from Master wsus server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, we have a WSUS environment consisting of a master server and 5 downstream servers. The Master server is running windows 2012r2 and the downstream servers are at 2008r2.  The master points to MS website for getting updates and the 5 downstream server get their updates from the Master server.  When we approve updates we are touching each of the 6 servers (master plus 5 downstream) to approve them for release.  Is there a way to centralize this process so we only touch the master server for approval and these approved filter down to the downstream servers already approved? 

Francisco Mercado Jr.

Monday, March 14, 2016 8:49 PM

Answers

• Hi dvua,

>Is there a way to centralize this process so we only touch the master server for approval and these approved filter down to the downstream servers already approved? 

Yes, we may achieve this if the downstream servers are replica servers, in options> update source and proxy server, check "This server is a replica of the upstream server". Then updates approved on upstream stream will also be approved on downstream server.

At the same time, we couldn't do any modify on replica downstream sever, since it is controlled by upstream server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi dvua,

>Is there a way to centralize this process so we only touch the master server for approval and these approved filter down to the downstream servers already approved? 

Yes, we may achieve this if the downstream servers are replica servers, in options> update source and proxy server, check "This server is a replica of the upstream server". Then updates approved on upstream stream will also be approved on downstream server.

At the same time, we couldn't do any modify on replica downstream sever, since it is controlled by upstream server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 2:29 AM
  • Am I able to convert my existing downstream wsus servers to replicas easily?

Francisco Mercado Jr.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Hi dvua,

It's easy to make the downstream server to be replica server, check "This server is a replica of the upstream server":

Best Regards,

Anne

• Marked as answer by dvua Friday, March 25, 2016 5:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by dvua Monday, March 28, 2016 1:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:27 AM
  • Once I check the Replica box, how can I verify that said server is now a replica of the master?

Francisco Mercado Jr.

Monday, March 28, 2016 1:14 PM
  • I found the answer to my question above. But it opened up additional questions on configuration.  I am approving at the Master wsus server but how will that reflect at the replica servers as it relates to Computer Groups? It seems that re-configuration is required as far as the name of the computer groups needing to be the same at Master and Replica servers for approving the updates. Is this correct?

Francisco Mercado Jr.

Monday, March 28, 2016 1:31 PM