Windows update service using maxing out CPU resources RRS feed

• Question

• We have a client that's currently running a number of windows 7 pro VM's on 3 esxi 5.5 hosts. Recently we started to see all of the VM's CPU's running at 100%. I've contacted vmware but they are not seeing any issues with the host logs or resource usage and they suggested that I work on the issue from the guest OS. The issue has been narrowed down to the windows update service, when the service is stopped or disabled the CPU usage drops back down to a normal level. At this point I've done the following...

1. Ran AV/malware scan (ESET & malwarebytes)

2. Installed KB3102810

3. Ran windows update troubleshooter

4. Rebuilt windows update store folder

5. Ran most recent windows updates on all VM's 

The issues are still occurring on the vast majority of the VM's so any additional information or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Monday, May 2, 2016 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi savy2020,

Thank you for your reply. If the issues appear again after reboot, I suggest that we could check the Windows Update service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Setting them manually and reboot again to check.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 6, 2016 12:28 PM

All replies