How to add a paragraph when a user checks a control box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a word 2010 document consisting of a questionnaire in the beginning and a form letter at the end. One section of the questionnaire only applies to certain people. If this section does not apply to the user, I want to hide (or remove) text from the form letter. If it does apply, I want to add (or insert) text into the form letter.  I want to place a checkbox at the beginning of that section in the questionnaire which would either add or hide text in the form letter.

How would I go about doing that?

I uploaded an example Word doc here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByDhIYEdFQPGamVBdWtFblRTOXc

If you download it and open it in Word, you'll see the comments that I added. There are no macro's in this doc.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:37 AM

Answers

• I solved my own question. For anyone who wants to know, here's the solution:

First off, there are 3 different kinds of checkboxes in Word 2010. In the Developer section of the ribbon (you may have to add it), there's Check Box Content Control. Also in the same section of the ribbon, there a Legacy Tools icon that contains two more checkboxes. Under Legacy Forms, there's a Check Box Form Field, and under ActiveX Controls there's a Check Box (ActiveX Control). After messing around with all 3, I was only able to get the Check Box (ActiveX Control) to work.

Step 1: Place the Check Box (ActiveX Control) into your document. Right-click on the control and select properties to change the name, caption, color, or anything else for the control. I changed the name to" DisplayS2cb" and the caption to "Display SECTION 2 text?"

Step 2: Right-click the control and select View Code

Step 3: Use the following code:

Private Sub DisplayS2cb_Click()

Dim ShowText As Range
        Dim HideText As Range

Set ShowText = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("SECTION2a").Range
        Set HideText = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("SECTION2b").Range

If DisplayS2cb.Value = True Then
            ShowText.Font.Hidden = False
            HideText.Font.Hidden = True
        Else
            ShowText.Font.Hidden = True
            HideText.Font.Hidden = False
        End If

End Sub

That's it! Feel free to use and modify to your hearts content.

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Monday, May 21, 2012 1:37 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 2:45 PM

All replies

• check this link this may help

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/create-forms-that-users-complete-or-print-in-word-HA101848148.aspx

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

I have an idea for you.

Is it possible that make the form letter stored in a single page?

Then if it is possible, then we can detele this page when the checkbox is selected.

Make the checkbox unchecked as default when the document opens. 

NOTE: If the checkbox is checked, the page deleted cannot show again. It means that the checkbox can only be changed once.

The code is below (Suppose the page 2 is the page where the form letter stays):

Private Sub CheckBox1_Change()

If CheckBox1.Enabled = True Then

Dim n As Integer, PageNum As Integer

Dim delPageNum As String

Dim lStart As Long, lEnd As Long

delPageNum = "2"

If delPageNum = "" Then Exit Sub

PageNum = Selection.Information(wdNumberOfPagesInDocument)

Selection.HomeKey wdStory 

Do

n = n + 1

If n = Val(delPageNum) Then

lStart = Selection.Range.Start

If n = PageNum Then

lEnd = ActiveDocument.Content.End

Else

lEnd = Selection.GoToNext(wdGoToPage).End

Selection.GoToPrevious wdGoToPage

End If

ActiveDocument.Range(lStart, lEnd).Delete     

Exit Sub

End If

Selection.GoToNext wdGoToPage

Loop

End If

End Sub

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Hi Linda,

Thanks for the link. Actually, this covers the basics of adding and configuring controls in Word doc, but I already know how to do that (I should have discussed what I've done so far). For a beginner, this link would be a great starting place.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Deleting a page is not going to work but I know I'll need to write some code.

I don't know how to share a doc on this forum, so I uploaded an example to Google Docs. You can access it from this link:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByDhIYEdFQPGamVBdWtFblRTOXc

If you download it and view it in Word, you can see the comments I added to help explain what I'm hoping to accomplish.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:26 PM
  • I solved my own question. For anyone who wants to know, here's the solution:

First off, there are 3 different kinds of checkboxes in Word 2010. In the Developer section of the ribbon (you may have to add it), there's Check Box Content Control. Also in the same section of the ribbon, there a Legacy Tools icon that contains two more checkboxes. Under Legacy Forms, there's a Check Box Form Field, and under ActiveX Controls there's a Check Box (ActiveX Control). After messing around with all 3, I was only able to get the Check Box (ActiveX Control) to work.

Step 1: Place the Check Box (ActiveX Control) into your document. Right-click on the control and select properties to change the name, caption, color, or anything else for the control. I changed the name to" DisplayS2cb" and the caption to "Display SECTION 2 text?"

Step 2: Right-click the control and select View Code

Step 3: Use the following code:

Private Sub DisplayS2cb_Click()

Dim ShowText As Range
        Dim HideText As Range

Set ShowText = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("SECTION2a").Range
        Set HideText = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("SECTION2b").Range

If DisplayS2cb.Value = True Then
            ShowText.Font.Hidden = False
            HideText.Font.Hidden = True
        Else
            ShowText.Font.Hidden = True
            HideText.Font.Hidden = False
        End If

End Sub

That's it! Feel free to use and modify to your hearts content.

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Monday, May 21, 2012 1:37 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 2:45 PM