Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - March 2015 (KB 890830) 9.2 MB RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Win7 (64 bit) and just saw the following Optional Update when I went to the Critical Updates page. I wonder if I should install it or not?

If so, why is it marked Optional and not Recommended or Critical if it is an update to the Malicious Software Removal Tool I already have installed?

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - March 2015 (KB 890830)  9.2 MB

BTW: When can I see the information about the the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool I already have?

Sunday, March 8, 2015 8:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• It is recommended update, because it run a quick scan on your PC to detect well-known malwares. If you have updated Anti-Malware, you don't need to run it but running it won't cause any harm.

To check what version of MSRT you are using, open start and search for mrt or mrt.exe and open it and check it.

Sunday, March 8, 2015 9:39 PM
  • Why is a being offered before patch Tuesday this month?

Has something extra nasty been infecting PCs recently?

Brian G. [in the UK]

Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:15 PM
  • Where does it show the version of the MRT I have? I don't see it when I click on Start/MRT.
    Monday, March 9, 2015 11:00 PM
  • Where does it show the version of the MRT I have? I don't see it when I click on Start/MRT.

it says it right at the top. For example this is the March 2015 version:

Image of the March 2015 version of mrt.exe just started up on Windows 7

Brian G. [in the UK]

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:27 AM
  • Why is a being offered before patch Tuesday this month?

Has something extra nasty been infecting PCs recently?

Brian G. [in the UK]

Mine still shows Feb 2015 at the top and I do not see the Critical download any longer for the KB 890830.  What is going on?

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:03 PM
  • Hello AliceZ,

You could download the Malicious Software Removal Tool from the following link.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

Based on my test, the version is 2015 Feb too.

About antivirus software, you could use Microsoft Security Essential to scan viruses and spyware and malicious software. For more information, please take a look at the following article.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-all-versions

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Friday, March 20, 2015 1:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Friday, March 20, 2015 1:31 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:48 AM
  • Oh come on.

This is just totally obvious information anyone could find instantly with Google.

NOTHING AT ALL about why it came up early and only as optional this month.

I suspect you have a friend you pay to go around marking all your replies as good answers.

Brian G. [in the UK]

• Edited by bdg2 Friday, March 20, 2015 1:51 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2015 1:50 AM