Exchange Server Readiness check instructs to remove Exchange 2000 or 2003 from environment but the servers are already removed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

I am trying upgrade to Exchange Server Standard 2013 from my current Exchange 2007 environment but the readiness checks keep telling me to remove my Exchange 2000 or 2003 organizations.  I upgraded those orgs to Exchange 2007 about 6 years ago so I can't tell where the setup is finding reference to those other organizations. 

I am a small company and Exchange Server is running on one server in my Active Directory Domain.  I upgraded from Exchange 2003 to 2007 in 2009.  Could I have missed something during that upgrade that is still referencing Exchange Server 2003?  I don't see any reference to it in Exchange Management Shell or Console.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:21 PM

Answers

• Well, it shouldn't be telling you to remove Exchange 2000 or 2003 organizations because there is just one organization in your forest and you can't remove it and wouldn't want to anyway.  That's why when posting here that you post the exact unadulterated commands you entered and error messages you received and not paraphrase them.

It's certainly possible that you have remains.  People often think that turning off a server is sufficient.  What do you see when you run Get-ExchangeServer?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wang_ Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:52 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:51 PM

All replies

• Well, it shouldn't be telling you to remove Exchange 2000 or 2003 organizations because there is just one organization in your forest and you can't remove it and wouldn't want to anyway.  That's why when posting here that you post the exact unadulterated commands you entered and error messages you received and not paraphrase them.

It's certainly possible that you have remains.  People often think that turning off a server is sufficient.  What do you see when you run Get-ExchangeServer?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wang_ Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:52 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

How about the issue?

I am writing to check the status of the thread.

According to the error message, you need to remove the legacy server.

I have found the following article for your reference:

How to remove Exchange Server 2003 from your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396

Regards,

David

• Edited by David Wang_ Monday, February 15, 2016 9:07 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2016 1:27 AM