none
Excel 2013 Crash Issue RRS feed

• Question

• We are having issues with Excel 2013 crashing. It happens most when someone is using a file and right clicks to insert a row or column. I have tried to remove and re-install office, removed add no's, put them back, checked anti-virus and so on. Everything that shows up under troubleshooting articles has been tried with no luck. If we move the mouse pointer over to a column or row and right click, the software crashes about 50% of the time.

Any Ideas on what to do? This is very damaging due to the type of business we are. We use excel to draft bids and when this happens close to a deadline, it costs us business.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 11:12 PM

All replies

• Hi JCRCCI,

Where did you open the file? From local computer or network?

Does this problem appear in all Excel files or a particular file?

If this problem only appear in a particular file, I suggest you check if your file contains excess formatting for cells. Try to clear excess formatting manually or using the add-in in the Knowledge Base article below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/244435

You can also only add data to a new Workbook and check the result.

If this problem appeared in all Excel files, try to open Excel files in safe mode and check the result. Make sure there is no third-part add-ins.

I also suggest you go to Starter folder and check if there are any files in it, clean these files(You can cut them to desktop).

Starter folder path: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Try to Disable hardware acceleration in Excel.

Any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:58 AM
  • I believe I found the issue finally. The machine, which was having trouble with any excel file, had a 32 bit Office 2013 Professional Plus running on a 64bit windows 10 OS. When the machine was updated to Windows 10, a 64 bit version was installed. For some reason the only issue was with Excel, but now that both are 64 bit, the issue has resolved.

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:17 PM
  • Hi JCRCCI,

Thanks for sharing your solution here, I suggest you mark your reply of solution as an answer. Other partners who read the forums with the same issue can get more information from the correct result.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 1:53 AM