Sequencing middleware with DSC in App-v 4.x vs Connection Groups in App-v 5 RRS feed

• Question

• App-v 4.x Standalone Scenario (working): A main application main.exe and dependent dlls runtime.dll. Sequence main.exe as a package and runtime.dll as a middleware, and link with DSC and OSD environment variable.

Steps:

1.       Sequence runtime.dll as middleware
    2.       Revert to clean state
    3.       Apply middleware package
    4.       Sequence main.exe as application
    5.       Modify OSD to include DSC dependencies and set PATH environment variable to %SFT_MNT%\RuntimePackagename\bin
    6.       When main.exe launches it finds the required dependant dlls

App-v 5 Standalone Scenario (not working): A main application main.exe and dependent dlls runtime.dll. Sequence main.exe as a package and runtime.dll as a middleware, and link with Connection Groups and environment variable set in main.exe deployment_config.xml.

Steps:

1.       Sequence runtime.dll as middleware
    2.       Revert to clean state
    3.       Apply middleware package
    4.       Sequence main.exe as application
    5.       Modify mainDeploymentConfig.xml to set PATH environment variable to AppVPackageRoot\RuntimePackagename\bin
    6.       Publish main.exe to client
    7.       Publish runtime to client
    8.       Create connection group and publish
    9.       When main.exe launches does not find dependent Dll. Process monitor confirms that the paths which application is looking for are incorrect.

Notes: I am aware that when a connection group is created the VFS of the packages is merged. I can see the merged registry entries, but when viewing the VFS  I can only see the main.exe files.

Any thoughts on the above are appreciated, mainly is this correct way to use connection groups? Does anyone has any suggestions on how to properly reference dlls in a middleware package.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    Did you publish the deploymentconfig.xml?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

Yes published with dynamic configuration

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Hello,
    Does the main.exe search the folder you specified within the deployment configuration?

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:38 PM
  • it is only searching in the vfs/mainpackage. possibly I am referencing incorrectly the middleware package in the path variable?
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Hello,

Either you are entering the wrong data within the deployment configuration, or you have not applied it.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:48 PM