Custom Master Page Issue in Intranet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I hope someone can assist with this, we implemented this particular SharePoint 2007 portal approximately 5 years ago.  An outside consultant created this custom master page, for some reason out of nowhere we are experiencing this bizarre issue with the master page and checking in and out documents. I have attached an image showing the error message being displayed below(couldn't attach until my account was verified but it states 'Error invalid viewstate, port 52208, user agent Mozilla/4.0..., viewstate, referrer, path).  I came across one source on the web that stated something about the search box code and it causing issues out of nowhere on the master page.  So in my dev environment I made the change and removed the following code from the master page below.

<td style="padding-top:8px;" valign=top>
                <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderSearchArea" runat="server">
                <SharePoint:DelegateControl runat="server" ControlId="SmallSearchInputBox"/>
                </asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
    </td>

As soon as this code is removed and the page is published again everything begins to work again, the problem is I can't remove search from this intranet portal as it is heavily used.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:54 PM

All replies

• By any chance, do you still have access to the solution package in which the master page was contained? Normally, you would see another .ascx user control overriding the delegate search control in there. I'm almost positive that this custom control is what causing this issue.

Nikolas Charlebois-Laprade Microsoft Certified Professional & Software Engineer http://nikcharlebois.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Hi Nikolas,

We do have the package the only problem is the company came in made the package and deployed it so we have a .wsp file, and a createsolution.cmd, deploysolution.cmd, removesolution.cmd, and upgradesolution.cmd. 

Question I have is why did this all of a sudden happen after being deployed for several years?

Thanks,
    Brad

• Edited by Brad1326 Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:07 PM