SSMS 2014 crashes on startup - Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I had it working briefly, and I suspect some Visual Studio Nuget packages may have screwed it up.  Both SSMS 2014 and Visual Studio 2013 stopped working at the same time, although I managed to fix VS by uninstalling and reinstalling.  The same has not worked with SQL Server.

On startup of SSMS I get the message "SQL Server Management Studio has stopped working".

The Event Viewer gives the following two errors:

Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2014.120.2000.8, time stamp: 0x5306c06d
    Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.6.57.0, time stamp: 0x551b89d7
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00011d10
    Faulting process id: 0x1d08
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d084d7da2f4673
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
    Report Id: 18f96321-f0cb-11e4-8261-acb57d6c536e
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

AND

Application: Ssms.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 74461D10 (74450000) with exit code 80131506.

I have also tried to install SQL Server Express but get an complaint about "Validation errors no the page", and the detail is that all the features are installed.

Saturday, May 2, 2015 1:18 PM

All replies

• Saturday, May 2, 2015 1:23 PM
  • Thanks, but I'm not paying $499 for MS to get their software to work out of the box.
    Saturday, May 2, 2015 1:52 PM
  • Thanks, but I'm not paying $499 for MS to get their software to work out of the box.

You need not pay to get the fix from Microsoft. It would be refunded back to you when case is closed. You need to tell this to engineer that the case is only to get a fix and need to be marked as "non-decrement"

But, if you need any troubleshooting assistance, then it would be a paid support.

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter | Facebook
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Saturday, May 2, 2015 2:14 PM
  • Well I gave that a try, but unfortunately:

"We are unable to complete the incident submission request at this time due to network or system down issues. Would you like to use our Finish Later option to save the incident for 7 days and try submitting again at a later time?

Please use the Previous button to use Finish Later. Or restart the incident submission process by selecting Submit Incident."

Saturday, May 2, 2015 2:23 PM
  • you may want to try after sometime. there might be a maintenance.

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker

Saturday, May 2, 2015 2:39 PM
  • Is it possible to get this sorted out without handing over my credit card details and risking a $499 charge?!

All I want to do is install SQL Server on Windows 8.1

Monday, May 4, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Hi Jack,

As described in this KB article, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem.

And, the usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

Please firstly obtain the hotfix and check if it can solve the crash issue.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:22 AM
  • But I don't want to spend anymore money, or risk spending anymore money.

What if I don't have a credit card?

Why can't I find a pertinent hotfix without handing over credit card details?

If free help is available for this then I'd like to access it without handing over my Credit Card.

I don't think that is unreasonable, is it?  I have a MS SQL Server installed on a new Windows 8.1 machine and it doesn't start.  I just want to fix this.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 11:49 AM

• Hi Jack,

Regarding to such crash issue, it is recommended that you open a case on Microsoft Customer Support (http://support.microsoft.com/). There will be a technical support engineer assigned to give you a reply about the hotfix and this crash issue.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 8, 2015 1:29 AM
  • Lydia,

It's a little frustrating that you repeat the same advice which I've already explained does not help me.
    Quite reasonably, I don't want to hand over my credit card details or risk a $499 charge.

I just want SQL Server 2014 to run on my Windows 8.1 machine.  If hotfixes are available then I'd like to be able to find the correct one without handing over credit card details or agreeing to a potential $499 charge.

• Edited by Jack McD Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:02 AM
  • It's a little frustrating that you repeat the same advice which I've already explained does not help me.
    Quite reasonably, I don't want to hand over my credit card details or risk a $499 charge.

I just want SQL Server 2014 to run on my Windows 8.1 machine.  If hotfixes are available then I'd like to be able to find the correct one without handing over credit card details or agreeing to a potential $499 charge.

Jack, If you have facebook account, please ping me over there. Let me see what I can do.

Balmukund Lakhani

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:04 AM