none
CHM files and KB4103723 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a small RDS farm with the Windows 2016 installed. We also use the redirected folders, of course, so users are unable to use local disks on those servers.

The next thing about our farm is that we use a proprietary program that has help files in the CHM format. The program and the files are located on the DFS. I know that it is a security breach to open CHM files on the network, but we should use our program for our business needs.

Recently we have updated one of the servers to KB4103723 and now we are unable to open CHMs from that server. 

IE security zones and the keys in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\HHRestrictions] / [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]  are OK, and we can open the CHMs if we remove the update.

So it looks like old methods don't work now. Is it possible to open the network CHMs with the KB4103723 installed?

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I didn't find that KB4103723 will affect to open the network CHM files. Surely, I'll suggest you should patch the cumulative version of this update from MS update catalog (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4103723) .

And I have done some research in my lab with windows server 2016 update with same KB4103723 as yours. It seems like it is not related the update. Due to CHMs can be opened from the server 2016 via net share as other servers. 

I'm wondering of check the point with you. << Was there any error message when you opened the CHM from network server? Whether cannot open it, or can open but can't display the content?  

If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know. I look forward your good news.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 8:46 AM
  • Hello,

>I didn't find that KB4103723 will affect to open the network CHM files.

I guess here is the reason:

Security updates to Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Microsoft scripting engine, Windows app platform and frameworks, Device Guard, Windows kernel, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Hyper-V, HTML help, and Windows Server.

I found almost the same problem here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dc9ae58e-4218-4dd3-8b72-3b32a5b3d874/can-no-longer-open-chm-files-across-the-local-network-after-installing-cu-for-windows-1709-for-x64

But it looks like doesn't work for a Windows 2016...

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 10:23 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update. I suggest you don't patch this update on the server for the time being. And you could wait hotfixing new rollups on June from MS offcial to see if it could be resolved.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:06 PM