Security issue in family safety RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I didn't find the correct place to ask this question so i chose this one. I found a bug in the family safety system, and I would like to report this to Microsoft, but I don't know how can I do that ?

Regards,

Arnaud H.

• Moved by Peter GeelenMVP Monday, August 29, 2016 11:11 AM Not For TNWiki forum
    Monday, August 29, 2016 7:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• To report it to Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business is a starting point. There is no bug report, you will report a support incident (there maybe a cost involved), if the incident turns out to require a fix from Microsoft you may get a refund (check small print when logging).

To begin with you would be better detailing your issues here, the community can try to help and see if they can also recreate the issue.

Monday, August 29, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Hi Mr Happy,

I had a big surprise when my child was playing over the time I set in the security. When I asked him about the popup screen to request time, he said : "I try to close the popup by ALT+F4 and the desktop came back, the popup still be on, BUT I was able to do all of the things I wanted." (thanks to him, he is honest)

Reproduce steps:

1) Set a time limit (e.g. 4 hours between 2pm to 6pm)

2) At 6pm or just before, the popup to have time appears

3) Press ALT+F4 combination one, two or three times (it depends)

4) When the desktop is on, you just have to move the popup on the side and continue doing stuffs

Do you have any idea ?

Regards,

Arnaud H.

Monday, August 29, 2016 1:30 PM
  • There is at least 5 ways a child can continue to play after the time has expired.  Nothing is infallible.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, August 29, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Hi ZigZag3143x,

I know that nothing is infallible. This is the law of the IT world. But it doesn't answer to my question at the end.

I secured the system and the network. For sure I have the possibility to restrict the network access after the time limit and locked the pc.

But I enjoy the system : you want 15 min, ok i give you 15 min and after it will be locked and all of that remotely and easily.

If there is no other solution, it will be ok, do not take my comment wrong.

Kind Regards,

Arnaud H.

Monday, August 29, 2016 4:38 PM
  • It your child is sufficiently motivated they will find the 5+ ways to circumvent it.  One way it to boot into a local account, another is if they have admin privileges.

Monday, August 29, 2016 5:38 PM
  • Alright, so you confirm there is no solution on the family safety issue. At least, right now.

Just for user who are searching for blocking the ability to switch from online account to local account, you just have to block the access to the control panel, cmd line and regedit. You can use GPO if you have the possibility (Pro version) or by editing the registry and NTFS security management.

Thanks for your answer,

Kind regards,

Arnaud H.

Monday, August 29, 2016 8:48 PM
  • Lets hope your kid doesn't find a Linux Live boot they like...
    Monday, August 29, 2016 9:13 PM
  • Make that six ways to circumvent

Monday, August 29, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Sure, but i've already locked the bios settings by a password. And i disabled the ability to change the boot order.^^

Monday, August 29, 2016 10:21 PM