Issues with RGC between Exchange 03 and Exchange 07 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue in getting e-mail into my mailbox.  I currently have an Exchange 03 server setup where all my clients are on.  We recently purchased an Exchange 2007 box and planned to migrate everyone over by the end of May.

The only mailbox I moved over was my own.  Everything was working fine until last Wednesday.  I am able to receive e-mail onto my blackberry (as I have a forward set up in AD to forward all my e-mails to my Blackberry), but when I look in the queues on the Exch03 box, I see all my messages sitting idle on the 03 to 07 routing group connector.  Nothing has changed settings wise.   Any ideas?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:49 PM

Answers

• The Remote Server did not respond to a connection attempt

This means that the Exchange 2003 cannot reach the Exchange 2007 server.  Here's some ideas:

1) DNS -- Exchange 2003 will attempt to resolve the 2007 server in DNS using FQDN.  Does it resolve correctly?  What DNS server(s) is the 2003 box using?
    2) TCP socket -- can Exchange 2003 open port 25 on the 2007 server?  Try "telnet <e2k7server_fqdn> 25" and you should get a 220 banner.
    3) Firewalls?  Anything between the two servers?  Any Anti-virus software that has SMTP client filtering shouldn't be running on either server.
    4) Try the Mail Flow Analyzer tool available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BDC1D6B-DE34-4F1C-AEBA-FED1256CAF9A&displaylang=en -- you'll want to run it from the 2003 server.  The 2007 version is already installed on the server and is available from the toolbox.

-Scott

• Marked as answer by Mike Shen Friday, April 24, 2009 7:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:58 PM

All replies

• Messages are queuing going from Exchange 2003 (where your MX record is pointed) to Exchange 2007 over the RGC?

If you highlight the queue, there will be an error message below.  You need to make a note of that error.

Typical reasons (without the error) are:
    1) No RGC got created.  I doubt this is the case since you noted it was in a RGC queue.
    2) Smart host on the Exchange 2003 SMTP Virtual Server.
    3) Other modifications to the 2003 SMTP Virtual Server or 2007 Default Receive Connector.
    4) Permissions issues (inheritance broken somewhere).

-Scott
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Error is:

The Remote Server did not respond to a connection attempt

1) the RGC is there
    2) no smart host
    3) no modifications made!!

4)  Well this does trigger my memory.  I changed all the users in the Exchange Security Groups to inherit permissions (as the 07 walk through instructed me to) when I was testing connectivity

Anything I need to change/change back?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Try to test port 25 communications from the Exch 03 to the Exch 07 by using Telnet: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/153119

You could try to delete and recreate the connector.

New-RoutingGroupConnector -Name "Interop RGC" -SourceTransportServers "Ex2007Hub1.contoso.com" -TargetTransportServers "Ex2003BH1.contoso.com" -Cost 1 -PublicFolderReferralsEnabled $true

New-RoutingGroupConnector -Name "Interop RGC" -SourceTransportServers "Ex2003BH1.contoso.com" -TargetTransportServers "Ex2007Hub1.contoso.com" -Cost 1 -PublicFolderReferralsEnabled $true

BP
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Already deleted and recreated the connector

I can send email out on 07, thats working fine.  The whole connector thing...

I think its something to do with the permissions that ScottL referenced above.  Only catch is I forgot where I did it!!  Grrrrr....
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:01 PM
  • did you test SMTP communication?

Did you try to reboot the Exchange 2007 HT server?  I have had issues in the past where the queue jams up, and I rebooted the server walla.  I'm guessing this has to do with restrating the Exchange Transport Service.

did you run the BPA?  What about disable minor link state surpession?   Info: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/quick-tip-how-to-suppress-link-state-information-on-an-exchange-server/

BP
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Reboot didnt work

That article doesnt show the right path to the reg key....
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:41 PM
  • You can modify the Registry using the code below.  Editing the registery is not recommended and can cause issues to your environment.  This is what I have used in the past.  I would suggest running the BPA v2.7 or highter first to see if the BPA detects the problem as it has for me a number of times in the past.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RESvc\Parameters]

"SuppressStateChanges"=dword:00000001

Oh, and another thought,  Check the ExchangeLegacy Interop Universal security group, check to make sure the 03 servers are in there.

BP

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:16 PM
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RESvc\Parameters]

After I click Services, RESvc isnt in the list

And I checked that group already, 03 is in there
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:44 PM
  • The Remote Server did not respond to a connection attempt

This means that the Exchange 2003 cannot reach the Exchange 2007 server.  Here's some ideas:

1) DNS -- Exchange 2003 will attempt to resolve the 2007 server in DNS using FQDN.  Does it resolve correctly?  What DNS server(s) is the 2003 box using?
    2) TCP socket -- can Exchange 2003 open port 25 on the 2007 server?  Try "telnet <e2k7server_fqdn> 25" and you should get a 220 banner.
    3) Firewalls?  Anything between the two servers?  Any Anti-virus software that has SMTP client filtering shouldn't be running on either server.
    4) Try the Mail Flow Analyzer tool available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BDC1D6B-DE34-4F1C-AEBA-FED1256CAF9A&displaylang=en -- you'll want to run it from the 2003 server.  The 2007 version is already installed on the server and is available from the toolbox.

-Scott

• Marked as answer by Mike Shen Friday, April 24, 2009 7:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:58 PM