Word 2010 - random issues changing an image size RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Office Professional Plus 2010 version 14.0.6106.5005 (32-bit)

I'm experiencing random issues when attempting to adjust sizes of images when using the shape height or shape width of the Picture Tools>Format Tab>Size Group - it doesn’t matter if I attempt to manually edit either the height or width, OR adjust either using the increment options. This can be from a newly created document and newly inserted image or an old document that includes images which I'm editing. Thus, I'm forced to open the Layout options for the image and change them on the size tab.

It does appear to be totally random and I've even found that on some occasions I can't adjust one (height or width), but after trying the other both them start to work...

It doesn't seem to matter if I use copy and paste from an external source or Insert>Illustrations>Picture.

Work colleagues have confirmed they can replicate the issue, again it appears to be total random.

I'll be uninstalling and reinstalling at some point in the future to see if this elevates the problem - but thought I'd raise it here because of the peculiarity of it.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
    NJM

• Edited by tetchy_njm Friday, November 4, 2011 2:16 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 2:14 PM

Answers

• Solution!!! Or at least identification of the bug and how to go around it!!!

Apparently this is a bug in Microsoft Word ... and it has been around for a while :-(

Page Break Fix

The "page break" "fix" does work. If the resize of a picture doesn’t work … scroll the page so no header is visible above the picture (e.g., the picture is at the top of the screen) … and like magic, the picture now resizes correctly. Scroll some of the picture off-screen if the picture is very close to the header.

The bug is "intermittent" because depending on where the page is positioned when the scroll to a picture is completed (header visible or not), controls whether the picture will resize or not.

If the solution works ... please vote for me :-)

Aussie

• Proposed as answer by Aussie_1 Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:45 PM
    • Edited by Aussie_1 Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:46 PM Added a request for votes
    • Marked as answer by tetchy_njm Monday, June 9, 2014 4:33 PM
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try to Turn off picture compression and Discard editing data test this issue.However, turning off compression can cause very large file sizes without an upper limit on the size of the file.

1. Click the File tab.
    2. Under Help, click Options, and then click Advanced.
    3. Under Image Size and Quality, select the Do not compress images in file & Discard editing data check box 

Note This setting applies only to pictures in the current file or the file selected in the list next to Image Size and Quality.

To compress a picture or set other picture quality or resolution options, see Reduce the file size of a picture

Best regards

William Zhou
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, November 7, 2011 7:40 AM
  • William,

many thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't appear to help whether I tick one or the other or both options.

NJM

Tetchy by name, tetchy by nature.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 1:39 PM
  • I have the same problem. It appears to occur randomly. Very frustrating when inserting lots of images into a document. At least one of my colleagues has reported the same problem. 

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit

Office Professional Plus 2010 Version 14.0.6112.5000 (32-bit)

Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:33 PM
  • Same problem, but found a solution.

Try right mouse button on image, and then size and position then type in the correct size.

After this you can change the image again in the ribbon menu.

Hope this works!

Theo

Note:

In my case it happens when there are a lot of images in the document, but it only occurs for one image, not for all.

I always drag the documents into the document, so not in the formal way.

-------

Office pro 2010 32-bit

Windows 7 Ulti Sp1 64-bit

• Proposed as answer by m-theo Monday, May 21, 2012 9:37 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 9:36 AM
  • Oddly enough, the right-click technique did work for me.  I also had random images that would not edit.  I tested them before crop, after crop, with direct insertion, with copy and paste, etc.  Each time, random images would not allow resizing after being put in word unless i changed the height or width under the right click menu.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Thanks guys; as originally mentioned the right click or layout options is the only work around and even then it is only a temporary fix, i.e. the height/width adjust on the ribbon will only work again for a while.

NB: A reinstall hasn’t cured the problem.

Kind regards,

NJM

• Edited by tetchy_njm Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:34 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:34 PM
  • All ... thanks for posting this issue ... I also have had the same problem for a  long time (windows 7 Pro 64b, Office 2010) ...  but on other machines too ... and I can't find a reliable solution. I am surprised that we don't see more reports on this problem because it does take so much time to "go around it." I concur that the "right click" workaround does work for a while. Overall a very annoying "feature" of Word.

Aussie

Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Solution!!! Or at least identification of the bug and how to go around it!!!

Apparently this is a bug in Microsoft Word ... and it has been around for a while :-(

Page Break Fix

The "page break" "fix" does work. If the resize of a picture doesn’t work … scroll the page so no header is visible above the picture (e.g., the picture is at the top of the screen) … and like magic, the picture now resizes correctly. Scroll some of the picture off-screen if the picture is very close to the header.

The bug is "intermittent" because depending on where the page is positioned when the scroll to a picture is completed (header visible or not), controls whether the picture will resize or not.

If the solution works ... please vote for me :-)

Aussie

• Proposed as answer by Aussie_1 Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:45 PM
    • Edited by Aussie_1 Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:46 PM Added a request for votes
    • Marked as answer by tetchy_njm Monday, June 9, 2014 4:33 PM
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Aussie,

Thanks fro coming back to us on this one - I've just tested your suggested workaround and you are indeed correct; if the top page break is showing then I get experience the issue but as you suggest scroll so the page break is off screen and it works!

Star

Monday, June 9, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Well done, it works!
    Friday, August 26, 2016 10:27 AM
  • I can't believe this works, but it does every time. Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:10 PM