Explorer Freezing RRS feed

• Question

•  have a Dell Inspiron 531 and every time I open Explorer my computer freezes up permanently and I have to go to task manager and end the program.  A box pops up and says "explorer has stopped running" and it gives 3 choices.  One of them is restart explorer, which I click on and the program restarts.  This happens daily and it also happens while I open one of my favorites.  It will take me to the page and freeze again.  This started about 6 months ago.  I have done scans for malware, worms and viruses and my computer is free from them.  I have closed a lot of start up programs like Office and other programs I don't need on startup.  I'm a bit computer challenged and don't really understand very technical answers, but if you put it in plain language I can probably follow the instructions. I appreciate any help I can get with this problem.  Thanks
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi imstormmie2, thanks for the post. Based on the symptom, this issue can be caused by add-ons. I suggest you first try the following steps to troubleshoot it:

1. Run IE with No Add-ons

Click Start, copy and paste Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) into Start Search box and press Enter. Change the cookie settings and have a test.

2. Reset IE7

1) Click Start button-> Control Panel.

2) Change to Classic View on the left pane and double-click the Internet Options icon.

3) On the Security tab, click Default level button for each icon in the Select a zone to view or change security settings.

4) Click to Programs tab, and then click the Make default button if it is not grayed out.

5) Click to Advanced tab, click Restore advanced settings button in the Settings area.

6) Click the Reset button in the Reset Internet Explorer settings area and Click OK.

7) Click Apply, and then click OK.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, April 17, 2009 2:55 AM