none
Subnet mask over 24 bytes (25 and up) - crashing sconfig.vbs - powershell limits ?

Question

• Hi,

I wanted to configure the IP/subnet of an interface in hyper-v core 2012 R2.

sconfig.vbs would not allow me to set a mask over 24 bytes and would not take any kind of command or input from it.

trying to use new-netipaddress with a prefixlength of 29 would fail.

However, adding the ip with a 24 would work, and then using the set-netipaddress with a prefix length of 29 would work.

And finally my hyper-v core just went kaboom when I tried to modify the related route.

So, here is the question:

Does hyper-v core supports subnets with more than 24 bytes set ?

Thanks

Friday, March 10, 2017 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi O.Ragain,

>>Does hyper-v core supports subnets with more than 24 bytes set ?

I'm afraid I'm not able to find any official documents about that. I would share the information if I got any news about it.

>>trying to use new-netipaddress with a prefixlength of 29 would fail.

What error did you get? The network components on hyper-v server is the same as GUI server as far as I know. I suppose you may post in network forum for help.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 1:45 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Unfortunately trying to reproduce the error is unsuccessful. Once the server rebooted after the crash it seems perfectly happy accepting a 29 prefix.

If you know of a powershell error log that I could retrieve, I may then be able to provide the error I was getting before the crash.

Thanks

Olivier

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:20 PM
  • Hi Olivier,

>>Once the server rebooted after the crash it seems perfectly happy accepting a 29 prefix.

Glad to hear that.

>>If you know of a powershell error log that I could retrieve, I may then be able to provide the error I was getting before the crash.

You may post in powershell forum for better help.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017 1:59 AM