Chkdsk seems to not restore access to partitions after having completed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

recently I have run into a problem with the CLI version of "Check Disk" and its properties' counterpart.

After logging in, the windows-explorer will show and allow access to all attached drives and partitions.

Since last week, I experience an issue with chkdsk, however, which seems to block access to partitions after having completed a check.

I my case drive 0 contains my system and a second partition. This second partition can be checked on the fly, while system partition checks require a reboot and will run prior to log in, just as expected.

Checking the second partition will progress as usual, but after chkdsk has completed all checks (regardless of which options had been chosen) I can no longer access that second partition. It will still show in the explorer, but without size and free space figures.

The progress bar in the explorer window will show up, while the system tries to get the drive parameters, but the process will never complete (I have waited for more than 30 minutes).

Also the system will not allow for a regular shutdown, because it seems to be unable to log out a user while it still tries to get drive parameters (the log out message appears, but the blue circle keeps on rotating forever).

In safe mode however, checkdisk will not produce any errors, whatsoever.

Can anyone suggest a possible solution on how to get chkdsk working again in regular mode?

Thanks

Edit 1: the problem also effects drives connected via USB. Again, safe mode does not produce errors.

Edit 2: also, assigning drive letters while not in safe mode does not work.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hi A_Questionmark,

"Since last week, I experience an issue with chkdsk, however, which seems to block access to partitions after having completed a check."
    Have you made any modifications to the machine before this issue ?
    I would suggest you to update the machine to have a check .Especially the BIOS and the hard drive driver.We can download the driver from the manufacturer website for the devices.Considering it will work in safe mode ,this issue may be caused by the driver or third party service.
    We can perform a clean boot to verify whether this issue is caused by a third party service.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

I also suggest you to run "sfc /scannow" to check the health of the system files.

If the issue occurred recently ,we can perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point.
    We also can check the Event Viewer for any related error messages to troubleshoot this issue .
    Event Viewer \Windows Logs \Application ,System

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:07 AM

All replies

• The solution is take your system to a professional computer repair shop and have proper diagnostics performed on your system for hardware faults. Your description of the problem sounds like your HDD is defective and needs to be replace.  Windows has no capability to compensate for defective hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, April 26, 2015 11:27 AM
  • If it were the drive, the problem would also occur in safe mode.

Also, I have copied the drive to two other ones, and the problem still persists.

It's not very probable that three drives have malfunctioned over night.

Monday, April 27, 2015 3:29 PM
  • Hi A_Questionmark,

"Since last week, I experience an issue with chkdsk, however, which seems to block access to partitions after having completed a check."
    Have you made any modifications to the machine before this issue ?
    I would suggest you to update the machine to have a check .Especially the BIOS and the hard drive driver.We can download the driver from the manufacturer website for the devices.Considering it will work in safe mode ,this issue may be caused by the driver or third party service.
    We can perform a clean boot to verify whether this issue is caused by a third party service.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

I also suggest you to run "sfc /scannow" to check the health of the system files.

If the issue occurred recently ,we can perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point.
    We also can check the Event Viewer for any related error messages to troubleshoot this issue .
    Event Viewer \Windows Logs \Application ,System

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:07 AM