none
PCMCIA card reports Code 12 (not enough free resources) in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Silicon Image SiI 3512 PCMCIA card I would like to use with an older laptop, a Fujitsu Lifebook T1010. Windows reports the PCMCIA controller itself is just fine, but reports a code 12 (cannot find enough free resources) for the SiI card.

I've found plenty on Google that points the blame to the Creators update, and most seem to ultimately point back to this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/multiple-device-failure-code-12-after-windows-10/00d5fb85-c3b1-4e08-9aa8-2542c5771c2c?messageId=5e9c61dc-06e2-4a95-a540-edbcdb0ea495

Many folks found success with one of the two hacks. One involved changing the pcmcia service in the registry from a start value of 0 to 4, rebooting, then returning from 4 to 0, and rebooting again. The second involved renaming pcmcia.sys in C:\Windows\system32\drivers and, if that didn't work, renaming pcmcia.sys and pcmcia.inf in the driver store, and rebooting.

Another hack I found on Google was to try replacing pcmcia.sys with a version of pcmcia.sys from an earlier Windows 10 build. I tried that, and wound up with an unbootable system, forcing me to roll back that approach.

None of these made any difference. No combination of these "hacks" has fixed the issue. I still have an unusable SiI 3512 dual-port SATA card. Has anyone found success with another approach?

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 4:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Matthew,

Try to contact silicon support to check if the model compatibility with Windows 10. If yes, does it works well on any version of Windows 10 or specific system build such as Windows 10 1903 or others. Also please download compatibility driver from their website to check again. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 31, 2020 7:35 AM
  • Not sure what you mean by "compatibility driver." I checked Silicon Image's website, which is now Lattice Semiconductor. They don't officially support the SiI 3512 controllers beyond Windows 7, but I have other SiI devices that are non-PCMCIA with equally old (2009-2010) drivers, and they all work perfectly in Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019. It's only the PCMCIA card that doesn't work in Windows 10.

I swapped out the SSD in the laptop with an empty one, and loaded Windows 7 to test. The PCMCIA card worked flawlessly.

Saturday, February 1, 2020 3:26 AM
  • Hi Matthew, 

Any update?

If any information is useful for you, please mark it as answer. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 2, 2020 11:22 AM
  • Hi, 

"They don't officially support the SiI 3512 controllers beyond Windows 7"

I would understand that 3512 not support on Windows 10, even through some devices might run well with it. but compatibility Windows 10 will call for all the devices. 

Bests, 

Sunday, February 2, 2020 11:33 AM
  • Hi, 

"They don't officially support the SiI 3512 controllers beyond Windows 7"

I would understand that 3512 not support on Windows 10, even through some devices might run well with it. but compatibility Windows 10 will call for all the devices. 

Bests, 

"...but compatibility Windows 10 will call for all the devices."

How do I enable this mode? I know the card works in Windows 7. Windows 10 loads the driver and recognizes it's there. Other than the operating system (Windows 7 vs. Windows 10), the hardware is identical. So why can't the card find enough resources in Windows 10 over Windows 7?

Monday, February 3, 2020 2:58 AM
  • Hi, 

I would apologize for my late reply. 

It is not a system configuration, it is related with hardware which could not change compatibility status by our settings. We should give up old device for new update system, or use old device with previous system version however which is not support by Microsoft and would not downloaded from Microsoft website. 

Bests, 

Monday, February 10, 2020 3:42 PM