MDT Reference Image - Installing UWP apps RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a package for the install of UWP apps on my reference image.

I know the app installs successfully however when I create the WIM file and deploy, the UWP app is missing.

I have successfully followed the steps here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-store/distribute-offline-apps

However the reference image doe not contain the app.

I really want the app to be in the reference image rather than deploy at the time of installing the image

LAD114

Thursday, November 23, 2017 7:43 AM

All replies

• Are you installing the app via MDT as a provisioned app package? 

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, November 23, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi Anton,

here's the command used

dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /packagepath:.\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIForWindows_3217.31029.1337.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.AppxBundle /licensepath:.\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIForWindows_8wekyb3d8bbwe_b7476fad-aa85-6b52-cd0d-f4773a634d92.xml

THanks

LAD114

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Just to make sure: you are using built-in MDT's appx installation routine (e.g. you import the application into the deployment workbench). Did you include all required dependencies? In case of Power BI:

• Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.25426.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    • Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3_1.3.24201.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    • Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:55 AM
  • That's correct. All dependencies included

LAD114

• Edited by LADSouza Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:29 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:27 AM
  • Also here is the command dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /packagepath:.\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIForWindows_3217.31029.1337.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.AppxBundle /licensepath:.\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIForWindows_8wekyb3d8bbwe_b7476fad-aa85-6b52-cd0d-f4773a634d92.xml

I know it installs successfully as I can see the apps installed when the TS is in suspend mode

Even after the WIM is captured, if  mount the WIM and do a get-appxprovisionedpackage, the UWP app shows up.

LAD114

• Edited by LADSouza Tuesday, November 28, 2017 12:37 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:23 AM
  • So strangely enough the app now installs when a user logs on to the computer (Woo hoo!)

One app I particular I'm faced with an issue is the Company Portal App (https://businessstore.microsoft.com/en-au/store/details/company-portal/9wzdncrfj3pz) 

However, the app is available to the user but on clicking, nothing happens. We have the MS business store available to our users. On launching I can see that the app is already installed. 

Restartng / waiting nothing gets the app to launch. I finally, as the user, uninstalled the app from the start menu. Went into the Business store and installed it and it worked!

Not sure how to go about fixing this. 

LAD114

Monday, February 26, 2018 9:51 PM
  • Check the administrative events view in eventvwr. Usually it contains hints why an app failed to launch (for example missing prereqs like .NET native runtime) or missing license.

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact same issue. The app appears for news users login, however I click on the app and nothing happens. we
    Sunday, April 28, 2019 4:42 PM
  • Hello,

Which uwp Apps are you trying to Install? make sure it's dependencies installed correctly or just enforced the steps to continue with an error options.

On other note: UWP Apps are installed based on user's basis, To make it available for all users you have to Install and scheduled to run on Every users logged in.

Monday, April 29, 2019 6:54 AM
  • I am trying to install the Microsoft Whiteboard app. The app seems to install fine. It will install for new users, however when the user tries to select the app, nothing happens. I have all the dependencies and license downloaded. I even put them a VS-like directory (x64 folder contains the dependencies and framework, root folder contains the .appx with licence file) I used this method to install:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2016/01/11/using-the-windows-store-for-business-with-mdt-2013/

Monday, April 29, 2019 12:13 PM
  • I'm running into the same issue with the Whiteboard app. Did you find a solution?
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 4:58 PM
  • Have you tried to on Developer Mode after Installations of Apps! Check the behavior and provide more info that helps to identify the issues.
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:57 AM