Dial by Extension between lync Sites? RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure if we have something set wrong, so please give me a sanity check.

We have Line URIs like:

tel:+1248NNN5665;ext=5665

If another Lync user dials 5665, it goes out to the gateway and then comes back in.

I would assume that it should be recognized by Lync, and kept internal to Lync.

It is working, so we left it.

Now, we are setting up another site, and would like to set up 4 digit extension dialing between sites.

If I dial 4xxx, it goes out to my gateway instead of being recognized as a Lync number. (same with 10 digit as well)

If they dial me at 5665, the same occurs, they dial their gateway.

Before I start crossing all my gateways together and adding many more dialplans and trunks, is this the way it is supposed to work?

If so, what is even the value of "ext=5665" in the URI?

PS. I think it is funny that I have to use Chrome to properly use MS forums and licensing admin sites. I would assume MS would test their sites with IE.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:42 PM

Answers

• For DIDs, you should have Normalization rules configured which translate 5665 -> +1248NNN5665.  This will allow Lync to perform a Reverse Number Lookup (RNL) and find the user with the associated DID and keep the call within Lync.  The "ext=5665" helps Lync identify the extension for users when using dial-in conferencing and PIN-based authentication, and also comes into play for ranges of numbers marked as "Internal extension" within the normalization rule.
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:25 AM

All replies

• For DIDs, you should have Normalization rules configured which translate 5665 -> +1248NNN5665.  This will allow Lync to perform a Reverse Number Lookup (RNL) and find the user with the associated DID and keep the call within Lync.  The "ext=5665" helps Lync identify the extension for users when using dial-in conferencing and PIN-based authentication, and also comes into play for ranges of numbers marked as "Internal extension" within the normalization rule.
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Is the phone number +1248NNN5665 DID number?

Did you use extension 5665 for multiple DID number? you should not assign phone number like that.

Please check that you have create dial plan and normalization rule for your extension number.

The extension number should be normailized to E.164 format of phone number.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:27 AM
  • 5XXX -> +1NNNNNN$1

Super Simple, but missed for over a year.

Thanks.

PS. I think it is funny that I have to use Chrome to properly use MS forums and licensing admin sites. I would assume MS would test their sites with IE.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:02 PM