none
search problem (pdf files) RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

i have strange situation with search. search results dont contain pdf files if 'Title' of those files is not empty.

so, i upload 'my test1.pdf' file and don`t set title to it. do recrawl. type e.g. 'my*' in search box - all is ok, i see this file in results.

but if i either set any title (e.g. 'supertitle') to 'my test1.pdf'  or upload next file 'my test2.pdf' and set there any non-empty title (e.g. 'title2'), and then recrawl, and then type  'my*' - no results found. file is not found! not possible to find it by name!  and if i type part of title e.g. 'super*' - i see search results. (but link to document is entitled by Title of document, not name of document, but its not problem for me now)

and only way to search pdf files by name - is to make titles of documents empty and recrawl. i know this is not normal behaviour of search, i don`t see this issue on some other servers. but what could it be? what should i check? or may be restart\recreate something?

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, I understand that SharePoint server cannot provide normal results when searching PDF files.

I would like to know if the issue occurred when you searched other formats documents. If the issue is only related to PDF files, I'd like to explain that PDF is not supported in SharePoint search by default. We have to install a x64 PDF iFilter for this. For your reference, I have added the download link:

Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4025

Install the filter, tweak your configuration files and within minutes, you will be able to index and search PDF documents. 

Note: 1. Restart your IIS after adding a new iFilter. You don't need to restart your machine.
             2. iFilter must be installed on the machine where your SQL Server is and not on the machine where your SharePoint front end is installed.

For more information, please refer to: 

Index and Search PDF Files in SharePoint Server 2010
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/opal/archive/2009/10/20/index-and-search-pdf-files-in-sharepoint-server-2010.aspx

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Yan

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:32 AM
  • thanks,

i heard about this solution. but when i checked dev and staging servers - pdf files can be searched by name even if they have nonempty title. only prod server has this issue, so i should test solutions first (e.g. on dev), but  i cant test because all is ok everywhere except prod. and nothing special with search were set on all servers. everywhere are default settings (as i know..)

all other formats are searchable by name despite of is there nonempty title or not. 

'Title' - i mean item`s metadata`s default field. (like author, editor etc.)

and on prod only those pdf documents are searchable (by name!), that has empty title. when title is not empty, pdf documents are searchable only by title.

and if title is cleaned again - pdf documents are searchable by name again.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:28 PM